Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 
Thomasdog

Sandrac : Horrible - no, still learning - yes
Quote:
I bought the Omega One Betta Pellets. Are those any good? When I dropped them in his tank he just ignored and then would stare. Then I noticed that the pellet gets "stuck" in his mouth. I'm worried. He is just holding it in his mouth..or its stuck..I'm not sure. Am I supposed to soften them before I give them to him? I also bought the conditioner.
I have heard that Omega One pellets are pretty good, so I think you are OK there. If they seem to big for Mufasa, then I would take the back of a spoon and give a few a whack or two to break them up to smaller chunks. (Not powder, just about in half) Good for you to get water conditioner.

Quote:
Now the only think I'm confused about is the water cycling. :( I have never done the water cycling
I don't think it's necessary. I have never learned too much about it, but as far as I know, you don't have to do it, even though it is nice. I have never done it and all my fish are fine. But I guess it's supposed to balance your tank's levels. Here- read this and it will explain it more than I can.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Quote:
I do a full water change every week and a half to two.
You need to do more water changes than that for a 1gallon tank. I would do a 50% 1-2x per week, and 1 100% 1x per week. Make sure to acclimate your betta so he does not die of shock. Also make sure that the water is from 76-82 degrees F. In a perfect world, he would be in a bigger tank with a heater, but I understand that this is not doable for all people, and in my opinion a betta can have a semi-happy life in a smaller tank as long and the ammonia levels are maintained. WATER CHANGES ARE YOUR BFFs!!! Make sure, once again, to condition the water and check the temp.
Hope this helps :)
-Thomasdog
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #12 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Do your tanks have filters?

I do not have a filter. I heard the currents are too strong?
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #13 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac8388 View Post
I do not have a filter. I heard the currents are too strong?
You can baffle a filter's flow easily. If you don't have a filter you can't cycle a tank. You might want to get the ammonia test kit so you know when ammonia builds up too much in your 1 gallon. Ammonia kills.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #14 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Yes I have heard thats a good food I believe. Is the pellet still in his mouth can you see it ? I dont know how big these pellets are but might be to big for him, you could crush them up or split them in half maybe or some people do soak them in tank water first, just take abit of water from his tank and let it soak a min. or two till soft.

Cycling can be confusing it was for me and also for a lot people you are not horrible..lol How big is the tank ? I will find the sticky post for the cycle and post it for you okay. You can always ask questions when you start to cycle the tank and someone will help you along the way, thats how I did it.
Mufasa's tank is 1.5 gallons. I will try to cut the pellets in half. I got so scared he might choke on the pellet. :(
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #15 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasdog View Post

You need to do more water changes than that for a 1gallon tank. I would do a 50% 1-2x per week, and 1 100% 1x per week. Make sure to acclimate your betta so he does not die of shock. Also make sure that the water is from 76-82 degrees F. In a perfect world, he would be in a bigger tank with a heater, but I understand that this is not doable for all people, and in my opinion a betta can have a semi-happy life in a smaller tank as long and the ammonia levels are maintained. WATER CHANGES ARE YOUR BFFs!!! Make sure, once again, to condition the water and check the temp.
Hope this helps :)
-Thomasdog
I saw some pics on here and definitely will get a bigger tank this weekend! Along with a thermometer and heater. Where can I but the heater? I'm afraid of cooking my betta!!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

Since your tank is small, it would be close to impossible to cycle your tank. You can't cycle your tank without your filter. I suggest to not have a filter and stay with 1 50% and 1 100% per week. As you said, the current might be too strong for him to swim. Filters are not recommended for tanks below 5 gallons but it can be done.

Omega One is 3rd best. :) The ingredient over all is great but it has wheat gluten which is a cheap filler used to boost the protein. The 1st and and 2nd best are New Life Spectrum Betta Formula and Attison's Betta Pro. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #17 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have a 2.5 with an Azoo Mignon filter and I really think i have cycled it. I don't have any ammonia readings anymore. Is it possible? It holds a small betta and some plants. I also added beneficial bacteria and used established biological filter media when I started it.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #18 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
I have a 2.5 with an Azoo Mignon filter and I really think i have cycled it. I don't have any ammonia readings anymore. Is it possible? It holds a small betta and some plants. I also added beneficial bacteria and used established biological filter media when I started it.
Yeah! You'd have to do all 3 tests to be sure, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

What did you use to test...? o.0
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #20 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Omega One is 3rd best. :) The ingredient over all is great but it has wheat gluten which is a cheap filler used to boost the protein. The 1st and and 2nd best are New Life Spectrum Betta Formula and Attison's Betta Pro. :)
Ok, now I'm going to HAVE to go buy new life spectrum. Lol. I want the best for my little betta. I want him to look like he did before. Big and beautiful. Where can I buy the new life spectrum? I could not find it at petsmart.