Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #31 
ao
TFK Moderator

Unfortunately he doesnt look too healthy :(
how often do you change your water?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #32 
sandrac8388

We change it every week and a half to 2 weeks. Will start doing water changes more often. Anything i can do to help? I switched his diet to pellets and will get him a bigger tank. I am posting more pics soon of his tank.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #33 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ok just incae you missed lebron's post. A 1 gallon bowl *must* be changed out 50% half way throught the week and 100% at the end of the week.
Ammonia build up is probably what killed your last betta :/ as the encironment it was living in was changed too dramatically from dirty to clean, it probably went through shock and passed.
Dont feel bad about it, we all make stupid mistakes. Usually by the advice of petshop employees.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #34 
sandrac8388

This is his current tank. I believe it is a 1.5 gallon. Will buy a new one of 3-5 gallon with a thermometer and heater and water kit this weekend. And new decor! Any tips are greatly appreciated!!! :D
Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #35 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Ok just incae you missed lebron's post. A 1 gallon bowl *must* be changed out 50% half way throught the week and 100% at the end of the week.
Ammonia build up is probably what killed your last betta :/ as the encironment it was living in was changed too dramatically from dirty to clean, it probably went through shock and passed.
Dont feel bad about it, we all make stupid mistakes. Usually by the advice of petshop employees.
Ok, so i change half the water mid week. And full water on Sunday? How do I do this? So confusing! I read his post but again..confused. I take the betta out and do this? and put in the conditioner?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #36 
ao
TFK Moderator

:) it's good to have two poland spring 1 gal bottle or a similar container on hand. One to fill up with new water. And one to fill with old water

Try to get the new water as close to tank temperature as possible. you can do this by adjusting warm water from the tap.
Add water conditioner to the new water in the 1st spare container.

siphon half the water out into the 2nd empty cotainer(you can use an airline for this)
Then add the new water from the 1st container (gently!)

For 100% changes. you can cup (or really gently net) the fish out of the tank and simply dump the water.

Make sure that your fish is kept in a container with a lid during the water change!

Also Make sure you have the conditioned water premixed before you dumped the old water so you know what temperature the new water should be. you can match temperature simply by feel.

add water then fish :)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #37 
sandrac8388

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
:) it's good to have two poland spring 1 gal bottle or a similar container on hand. One to fill up with new water. And one to fill with old water

Try to get the new water as close to tank temperature as possible. you can do this by adjusting warm water from the tap.
Add water conditioner to the new water in the 1st spare container.

siphon half the water out into the 2nd empty cotainer(you can use an airline for this)
Then add the new water from the 1st container (gently!)

For 100% changes. you can cup (or really gently net) the fish out of the tank and simply dump the water.

Make sure that your fish is kept in a container with a lid during the water change!

Also Make sure you have the conditioned water premixed before you dumped the old water so you know what temperature the new water should be. you can match temperature simply by feel.

add water then fish :)
Oh goodness, thank you so much! I had to read that slowly lol. Since I did a Full water change on this past Sunday, then i should do a mid water change on Thursday and Another full water change on Sunday again!

I'm so excited to get him back to good health.