Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #11 
Ivanchan2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Don't get freezedried there is next to nothing nutritious about them. Frozen or live food is always best. So frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp or mosquito larva are always good.

Setup seems fine. Great filter too! How far away from the substrate is the light?

It's not impossible to cycle a small tank, it depends how much media you have, water volume etc. The tank is cycled, you can't deny those test results. I still don't get why people say you can't cycle this...
Thx for ur input but I still can't find any freeze-dried at my LFS , so looks like I'm still on live mosquito larvae then.. my nearly environment got so many mosquito too

My tank is 30cm high , and the light located about 5 cm from the top of the tank... Dunno too, but I think my live plants affected the amount of Ammonia , Nitrates and Nitrites value.. many ppl think the 3 gallon requires so often WC so it could be unstable, but i think by WC 25% of water a week should solve the problem..
Ivanchan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #12 
nemolover

Looks like a good setup!
nemolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

Yup your tank is cycled XD
However it is best not to rely in a 3 gallon cycled as there is little room for error and ammonia spike can be deadly.

Well established plants can help stabilize the situation...

I have enough plants in the tank to not change the water for extended periods of time.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

Quote:
The tank is cycled, you can't deny those test results. I still don't get why people say you can't cycle this...
some people say you can, others say you can't cycle under 5 gallons. I think the general reason is because by the time you get the required levels of ammonia, ect to get the bacteria going - the levels are already toxic to fish - or something along those lines. I only add filters if its 10G or over. I'm surprised I haven't blow a fuze already
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD people tend to tell beginners that you cannot cycle a tank below 5gallons is because the cycle is likely to be non stable.

The water should be monitored at all times and the usual water changes done incase of an ammonia spike. wheareas in a 5gal+ tank, there is a great room for error :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #16 
Ivanchan2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemolover View Post
Looks like a good setup!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #17 
Ivanchan2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Yup your tank is cycled XD
However it is best not to rely in a 3 gallon cycled as there is little room for error and ammonia spike can be deadly.

Well established plants can help stabilize the situation...

I have enough plants in the tank to not change the water for extended periods of time.
XD I'll always keep my eye on it.. So i had my plan to full planted my tank in future
Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #18 
TheCheese909

It sounds like it should be fine.

If you're looking for other types of food to feed your Betta you should be able to find frozen bloodworms, frozen mosquito larva/glassworms or frozen brine shrimp at your local pet store. You should be able to Google local stores that sell these things as well so you don't have to search on your own. You can also always ask your lfs employee where you might be able to find some.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote