Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #1 
candyman995

Water conditioning

Quick question..... is using a water conditioner bad for the fishes health in partial water changes and would it killl the shrimp in the tank as well.

How would i go about preparing the water without killing the residents of the tank off in the process???
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #2 
registereduser

I don't understand the question. If you are using tap water you need to condition it. Every time, partial changes, full changes, whatever. It's the chlorine in the water that will kill your fish, conditioner removes the chlorine.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #3 
candyman995

Sorry i typed that in a rush. Basically i've read cherry shrimp are sensative to copper and other chemicals, i was wondering would it be better to condition the water in a seperate tank then add it to my fish tank after its stood for a few hours so as to not kill off the shrimp or would it be none harmfull?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 
registereduser

I've never kept shrimp. What I do for water changes is fill a bucket at the sink, add the drops of conditioner while it is filling up, then pour the new water into the tank. I haven't had any problems with this method yet. If you wanted to let the water sit for a few hours or longer, before or after using conditioner, it wouldn't hurt anything.

Do you have an API water test kit? (not paper strips) It's essential! I don't know about copper but you do need to monitor tank for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Do you mean would regular water conditioner hurt your shrimp ? No it would not at all you have to condition the water for every water change and I use it for my snails and it doesnt hurt them. What type do you use ? I use Prime water conditioner its very good and only two drops per gallon. I have a 5 gallon tank so I use gallon jugs or my water changes, I fill them up and put in the water conditioner in the morning and they are ready whenever I am do water changes, mostly in the afternoon.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #6 
candyman995

I've decided to condition the water and leave it to stand for a few hours before doing a change over just to be safe. its taken ages to get the tank to successfully cycle and be ready for anything to survive in it so dont want to have to start again if it some how went wrong.

A question i have to ask though is regarding water again but more about how to keep it clear. I have about 4 different species of plants in my tank at the moment and only 4 cherry shrimp for everyday cleaning of algie. But i dont think my filter can handle it as the water is starting to cloud up and look dirty quicker every time i change the water. Any idea what would cause this?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

water conditioner is made from sodium thiosulfate. This does not contain any metals harmful to your shrimp.
what is important to shrimps are the stability of the environment. I haven't killed a RCS with fresh condtioned water yet. they're pretty hardy for a shrimp. If you need to do 100% WC for the betta then it's best not to keep shrimp in the betta tank :)
Cherry shrimps aren't the greatest cleaners.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #8 
candyman995

Its only for general build up and they seem to be doing alright at the moment.

JUst wondered if it could be my filter thats not cleaning the water of dirt effectivly. Any one no off decent filters for 2.5 gallon tanks that arn't external or back mounted like mine currently is.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

i cant help you there. they key to keeping RCS is plants. I run an azoo mignon in my 2.5 and I also have RCS in there. they dont die until my betta decides hes hungry and bored.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish health, shrimp, water change