Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #1 
Breshiki

Question Treated but not cured, please help!

Please help! My little Betta is sick, iím not sure what it is or how to help him!

About December 30th I pulled up an old picture of when I first got him and looked at him now and thatís when I knew he was really sick. I thought it was just my imagination because the change seemed to happen slowly over a 4-month span.

I know he has fin rot, and I though the other stuff was velvet. I added a pic below from the 30th. What i did was:
* 100% water change.
* I added a tsp of aquarium salt to him 2.5 gallon tank.
* I added a heater to the tank to help keep the temperature warmer around 78 degrees (I honestly didnít know they had heaters for small aquariums).
* I completed a 5-day treatment of Tetra Lifeguard All-in-one Treatment (like the box said).
* And did a 25% water change on the 6th day (also like the box said).

Just for reference the Lifeguard helps in treating fungus, ick, red streaks, milky or shedding slime, flukes, bacterial gill disease, mouth or fin rot, clamped or torn fins and ulcers.
The active ingredients are: 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4imidazolidinone.

While his fins are starting to grow back and it helped get rid of some of the stuff on his face heís not completely cured. He's at a stand still, he's not getting any better now, and I don't want him to get worse. What should I do?????? Should I wait a little longer, try another 5-day treatment, try something else?

PICS: sorry for the bad images by camra really sucks!
DAY 1

TODAY, DAY 9:

--------------------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 US GALLON
What temperature is your tank? WAS 74, NOW 78 DEGREES
Does your tank have a filter? NO
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? YES
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NO

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HIKARI BETTA BIO-GOLD PELLETS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 PELLETS ONCE A DAY

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? ONCE A WEEK
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TETRA AQUASAFE PLUS, API AMMO LOCK.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
AVERAGE TEST RESULTS
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.8
Hardness:150PPM
Alkalinity: 120-180PPM

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? GOLD IN THE FACE, SMALLER FINS.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? NOT REALLY.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? IT HAPPENED SO SLOWLY I DONíT REMEMBER.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? YES, SEE ABOVE EXPLANATION.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? FIRST TIME.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I GOT HIM AUGUST 2011.
Breshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I cant tell from the pics but is the gold head his natural coloring? Some fish change colors with time. Are scales missing? If you shine a flashlight on him, do you see gold dust? I would think if he had velvet his behavior would of changed by now...

As for the fins, its either fin rot or tail bitting or fin rot caused by tail bitting.
Keep the water super clean and AQ salt ( 10 days max) will help fight off any infections. Stress coat will help with fin regrowth if you have it.

Quote:
How often do you perform a water change? ONCE A WEEK
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
If would be better to do 2 water changes a week. one 100% and one 50% to keep ammonia levels down
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #3 
Breshiki

Thanks for getting back to me!!!

In the beginning his head was gold and he had a gold dust to him, which is why I though it was velvet. When I shine the light on him now there is no gold coloring to him. his head has patches of tan/brown & black. When I was giving him treatments I noticed as the gold receded red raw spots appeared, which is probably what the black stuff is.

He is missing a few scales (which are now black spots) on his side but it was when he tried to squeeze between his coral rock & the side of the aquarium (I’ve moved the rock over some so he has room now).

His fins are coming back and i’m not too worried about them as long as they don’t get worse. My main concern is what’s going on with his head. Is it just healing or do you think it could be something else wrong with him?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #4 
callistra

If the medication was helping but he is not fully cured, you have waited and he is not continuing to improve, you have two options. Either treat a second dose or switch to a different med. Sometimes a second round is required.

Now I'm not sure exactly what's in that med but I know it's not a real antibiotic and it's saying it treats both parasites and bacterial infections.. so maybe you need something a lot more specific to his needs.

Last edited by callistra; 01-08-2012 at 12:33 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #5 
Breshiki

Talking

I'm not trying to bump this thread, but I wanted to thank everyone for all thier advise & help ! I'll let you see for yourself the results....

I've changed a number of things including the type of water I give him just to make him happy (spoiled little brat! ). Without your guys help, he might have died, or at least wouldn't be as happy & healthy as his is now.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol because you bumped this I have to say... 6 pellets once a day is ALOT of food. split the feeding into two so that he hass time to digest.

but otherwise... congratulations!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote