Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

More weird pet store advice

When I bought Shiny his 2.5 gallon tank, I was in Petsmart and I had it in my basket with a bunch of new fake plants and basically all the stuff for starting a new tank. So the guy who worked there in the fish section asked me if I'd be buying any live fish, and I said no. So he looked at all my stuff and said, "You're setting up a new tank?" And I said that I have a betta and I'm just getting him a bigger tank and more plants. So he was like, "Oh, nice" and then he says "you know you can put more than one together, right?" So I gave him the benefit of the doubt and I assumed he meant females in a much larger tank. So I said yes, I knew that. And then he said, "like a male and three females. Like that." So I was like, "Um..." because NO not like that.
And that's not even the weirdest thing- he then tells me to go to Lowe's and they sell this tropical plant that's kind of like corn and you put it over the top of the tank and they love to eat it. I don't like confrontation so I didn't say anything, but that's the weirdest betta advice I've heard yet. Betta's don't and shouldn't eat veggies. I doubt they'd enjoy some weird plant that's kind of like corn.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #2 
DragonFish

...Wow that is some strange advice. O.o xD What kind of plant did he even mean? I kind of want to look that up for curiosities sake.....I think I'll go do some googleing...

Ugh....will the horrible advice and lack of proper knowledge ever end? 8/ I mean, a male with three females? Thats kind of rather alarming, thinking that hes likely advising people to keep their bettas that way.....thats just such a huge, terrible, tragic disaster just waiting to happen....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

He said the name of the plant but I don't remember it at all because I was too much like to remember the specifics of it. lol
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #4 
DragonFish

LOL, I don't blame you, I probably would have been too. xD Thats so WEIRD.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I was about to get angry, but the thought of bettas swarming around to eat some weird corn plant cracks me up.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #6 
MSG

Don't waste your time looking it up.

Either he mean a corn plant or bamboo plants.

https://www.google.com/search?q=corn...H8a30AGVi4CwCA

Lowes & HD sell the bamboo that's typically found in betta vases in the plant section.

Guy is obviously misinformed and too busy not actually reading the pamphlets they hand out to new employees.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 
mcneivra

if you have a large enough tank with lots of plants you could (depending on personalities) keep a male with at least three females. like i said it depends on what you provide them and their temperments but it works. i owned three females and one male and they lived really peacefully
mcneivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneivra View Post
if you have a large enough tank with lots of plants you could (depending on personalities) keep a male with at least three females. like i said it depends on what you provide them and their temperments but it works. i owned three females and one male and they lived really peacefully
i'd never try that, no matter the tank size. they could live peacefully for years, and then all it'd take is an afternoon of stress to tear the whole thing down :(
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 
mcneivra

this is true which is why i wouldn't do it again just because i couldn't ever replicate how they are right now. they're strong after three years which is quite nice though :3
mcneivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Why would someone go out of their way to say that? And why would a sales person refer you to a DIFFERENT store to buy something thats bad? What a moron lol
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote