Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 
otter

Question Filter current and suction problem

Hi there
I just got a new betta for my mom so that she could have him at her desk during work.

He is in a 3 gallon tank with some plants and... glow in the dark rocks. My mom picked them out.

I put him in this morning and he darted under the filter right away and started to get sucked in. Hes a strong swimmer but I could tell he was struggling so Unplugged the filter.

For some reason the filter that came with the 3 gallon is really big, It looks the same size as my 10 gallon filter almost and it takes up a lot of room and has a very strong current. What can I do do make the current and suction less strong?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #2 
lelei

I actually don't think a filter is necessary for a 3 gallon, I have 3-3 gallon tanks, without filter, they have air stones, and check valves, there is a sticky here on baffling a filter to lessen current, you may want to give that a look.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 
otter

I would do that if I was the one taking care of it, but It will be at my mom's work so I won't be able to maintain it very well :( I wish she knew how to take care of the tank too, but she doesn't so I would have to go to her work and change the water which I can't do on a regular basis :(
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Can you teach her how to change the water and how much conditioner to put in when he changes it ? You might could buy a smaller filter or put something in front of it to baffle it some and use new pantyhose you would cut to put around the suction tube and use thread or a rubber band to hold it on. If it would help she could use gallon jugs and fill them at home and put in the conditioner, bring them to work and do the water change and she could even leave just enough water to cover him so she doesnt have to take him out of the tank . A gravel vac would be a great help and they dont cost that much. They can be used to take the water out and clean the gravel at the same time.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 
lelei

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I would do that if I was the one taking care of it, but It will be at my mom's work so I won't be able to maintain it very well :( I wish she knew how to take care of the tank too, but she doesn't so I would have to go to her work and change the water which I can't do on a regular basis :(
Well, the best way is too show her, or teach her, by going once or twice, and doing it, type out instructions, and leave with her, so she can do it herself, because she doesn't want to wait too long to change water, there should be a schedule for water changes that you adhere to strictly..

in a 3 gal, she can do the 1/2 water change, and then you could go in and do the full 100% water change, by taking out the fish, (cupping the fish), and show her how to re-adjust the fish when the temp is the same, usually a 1/2 hour difference, try to get as close as possible, and clean the decor, and put back in..(add fish last) and keep the water conditioner at her work, and some of the supplies that will be needed. and it should go well
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #6 
otter

Do you guys think that plastic wrap over the suction part will slow it down, or break it. :(
i was thinking I could rubber band it to the bottom with holes in it because I don't have a sponge, eh but i was afraid that it could be toxic.
Also would tin foil be ok to use instead of a plastic bottle?
I was afraid that it could pollute the water
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

New pantyhose would be best cause the water can still get though. Just cut to size and you could use unflavored dental floss or fishing string, cotton thread would be fine too but over time you would have to replace it. Make sure when you do water changes that the temp of the water is as close to the temp as the water he is to prevent shock. No tin foil would not be good for the water I would not use that.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote