Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #7231 
Ramla

Yeah I shall have to keep my eye on him when I get him.

Also quick question...does anyone know how long it usually takes anubias to establish itself? I have mine attached to a lava rock with some dental floss currently to hold it in place. Just curious about how long it may be before I can take it off and the plant will hold itself to the rock?
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #7232 
pyro fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramla View Post
Yeah I shall have to keep my eye on him when I get him.

Also quick question...does anyone know how long it usually takes anubias to establish itself? I have mine attached to a lava rock with some dental floss currently to hold it in place. Just curious about how long it may be before I can take it off and the plant will hold itself to the rock?
uh if its porus [guessing it is lol] i believe its like 2 or 3 weeks? i may be off there..
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #7233 
teeneythebetta

Idk how long it will take, but it probably depends on how mich light and nutrients it gets, the more light and nutrients probably the faster it will grow and therefore attach.

Is dental floss... Safe? I used cotton string but got rid of my tank before it attached.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #7234 
ao
TFK Moderator

yup ive used dental floss
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #7235 
pyro fiend

light is a good factor as nearly no light would taker longer then the maximum it can have :P plus root tabs would help.. n yea i thnk dental floss is safe. so long as it aint minty.. or used ;p plain floss is just plastic more or less. same thing as fishing line in a way :P
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #7236 
lelei

Wow..this sure is gorgeous..@ Bounce..I need to learn more about plants, and I would like to know what the small ones are in the front? I am familiar with the Sword plants, and Wisteria, but the small ones, and the ones at the top..could you tell me what those ones are?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #7237 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Wow..this sure is gorgeous..@ Bounce..I need to learn more about plants, and I would like to know what the small ones are in the front? I am familiar with the Sword plants, and Wisteria, but the small ones, and the ones at the top..could you tell me what those ones are?
The smalls ones in the front are crypt wendtii, I believe. The ones floating at the top, I think are anacharis.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #7238 
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
The smalls ones in the front are crypt wendtii, I believe. The ones floating at the top, I think are anacharis.
Yep. :o)
The crypts were tiny when I bought them and I've never added any root tabs or anything so I guess that's why they're still so small/growing so slowly. I also kind of wonder if their small size might be partly due to me planting them so close together. I don't know. I just buy the "easy, low-light" plants and hope for the best.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #7239 
Ramla

@pyro fiend

Yep it is porus, and thanks for the timeline...I was mostly curious of what I should expect since this is my first time with live plants

Also I bought root tabs...but I'm not sure how I would use them with the plant being attached to the rock? Is there some secret that I don't know about? XD

@teeneythebetta

Yeah I think I had read someone else using it, and I made sure it wasn't flavored and even soaked some pieces in some hot water just to get rid of anything that may be on it just to be safe.

--------------------------------
And Thanks for all the advice everyone! ^^

Last edited by Ramla; 09-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #7240 
pyro fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramla View Post
@pyro fiend

Also I bought root tabs...but I'm not sure how I would use them with the plant being attached to the rock? Is there some secret that I don't know about? XD

--------------------------------
And Thanks for all the advice everyone! ^^
im on my first time with live plants too haha n idk uh.. no idea how u cld w/o taking it off the rock and reattatching ;p lol tho fertalizing the water when water changes help im sure :P

it mainly depends on your light tho. pretty sure i read somewer eon here that the time for it to latch itself onto driftwood can take like 2 weeks to a month. but lava rocks r usually more porus so youd think less time maybe lil longer with lower light? :P

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank