Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #1 
Jbert3D

Question 20 Gallon Upgrade - Stocking choices!

Hey everyone,

It is time to upgrade, I have my tank cycling. I wanted to use my minnows to cycle, but I don't want the minnows in the tank when I'm done stocking - the minnows will be staying in the 10 gallon with a new betta.

So right now I have for the 20 gallon:
-Betta (male)
-2 Tetras
-spotted cory cat
-Apple snail

So I will definitely be getting at least 2 more corys so that I can be at the minimum of 3.

I wanted to get something colourful to fill up the tank. So I either get +8 more tetras so I can have +10 for schooling. Or what I was wanting to get; some cherry, gold, tiger barbs. I'm not entirely sure about how much they need to school and whether or not you can mix the different types.

I also wanted to get some large rocks to give my betta a nice and high resting place close to the surface, and to spread my java moss over some real-estate. However I don't have 30 bucks to spend on a ROCK, gawddd. So maybe if I look in my yard or possibly see if there's any I can steal from a neighbor, they just built a giant house... so I assume there's some bedrock or mountainous stones I can clean/sterilize?

So any suggestions? Getting an upgrade is exciting!

Thanks,

Josh.
Jbert3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #2 
Gale

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but tiger barbs and a betta aren't good choices in tank mates. Barbs are fairly aggressive and nippy.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #3 
Jbert3D

Oh sorry, replace barbs with Platies, swordtails or rasboras. Which would be more recommended? Or would getting more tetras be better?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 
Pixielator

Whenever you find a rock, you need to make sure that it doesn't have any kind of metals in it that will rust. I skimmed through a thread on a different site, and I think that it said you can test this by pouring vinegar on the rock, if it begins to bubble in any places, then it has metals that will rust. If this is true, I'm sure you can find something about it online. After the vinegar test, its probably a good idea to rinse the rock off thoroughly and then let it soak in hot water for a bit to get any vinegar off of it and out of all the crevices, or at least dilute it.
Again, I remember reading the vinegar thing from something I skimmed through, so you may want to look this up to make sure the info I'm giving you is accurate. I thought it would be important for you to know if it turns out to be true.

Last edited by Pixielator; 09-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
Gale

Getting more tetras would be a good idea no matter what. As a schooling fish, they've also been known to get a bit nippy when kept in numbers smaller than 6.

Here's an easy to use chart for freshwater fish compatibility. I haven't been keeping aquariums in nearly 20 years until recently, so I can't really speak from recent experience. :D

http://www.petco.com/assets/livefish...aterChart.html
Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #6 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbert3D View Post
Oh sorry, replace barbs with Platies, swordtails or rasboras. Which would be more recommended? Or would getting more tetras be better?

If you lived near me I would beg you to take my platies, heh heh. I want the tank for one of my bettas.

BTW my bettas were mostly ok with the platies. . but I think one time either a betta or ghost shrimp hurt a platy and then it never recovered and died. I never saw "whodunnit" though.

My betta Cornelius lives with a big fat pregnant Panda Platy and they are fine even though he tries to eat really fast so she can't have anything.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #7 
Jbert3D

I read that swordtails and platies are okay, but once in a blue moon they do get into a scuffle. Thats an awesome chart Gale! Though I only see female bettas on the list, no male? :O
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 
Gale

I didn't even notice that.

Depending on the male's personality, I'm pretty sure that their temperment with other species is about the same. Basically, you want to stay away from other fish that may look similar, with big colorful fins and relative size. Aside from that, you're basically looking for fish that won't try to make a meal of your betta's fins.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 
Jbert3D

Hey guys I made a list of different stocking choices, hopefully they can all work haha. Basically the only differences are schooling choice:

Betta
apple snail
3 corydora catfish (spotted)
+10 (10 - 14?) tetras (neon or cardinal)

Betta
apple snail
10 Rainbow fish

Betta
apple snail
10 platies

Betta
apple snail
5 danios
3 - 5 swordtails
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

If you are going to rainbowfish route, Melanotaenia maccullochi are probably going to be your best option.

Many species of rainbows grow too big for a 20 gallon tank, and prefer hard, alkaline water. Macs do well in soft-neutral water and are very peaceful. Mine live in with a betta male and they completely ignore him.

Threadfin rainbows are quite sensitive and likely to be attacked or bullied by a betta, while the smaller pseudomugil species can be much too active and nippy for a betta to live with comfortably.

However, in that scenario, I would go for around 6-8 macs and 6 corydoras as they are a schooling fish and do best in groups of at least 6 individuals.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, bio, cycling, planting, stocking