Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #81 
DJAinKY

You have to understand that most people don't actually listen when you make suggestions. Instead all they hear is, "what you are doing is wrong, so you are wrong." They feel attacked and automatically respond with a catchall like, "I can't afford it," or "I don't have time."

Both are pretty much nonsense. You can properly set up a used tank from Craigslist for under 30 dollars, and the amount of time it takes to care for an established planted tank is minimal and dwarfed by the amount of time most people spend watching TV.
DJAinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #82 
Pogthefish

I know how they feel, I remember being a noob, I will try to keep that in mind next time I answer. Alot of times they feel like they have a reputation as a good fish-keeper to maintain.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #83 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewatty View Post
100% agree. Fish are cheap. Properly caring for fish is not.
amen!
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #84 
Pogthefish

Its like buying a phone, you don't worry about the price of the phone, you worry about the phone plan.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #85 
MollyJean

I haven't had chocolate in a month and a half

Wow.. that sounded off topic, but it's not. I'm addicted to chocolate. It's like cigs for some people. I would rather have a double chocolate Otis Spunkmire muffin then anything else. A bag of Reese's minis is better then money or.. well I think you get the idea.

Every month I get a budget. I can only spend so much on chocolate. Yes, I'm that addicted. I knew breeding would be expensive, so I turned my monthly chocolate fund into my monthly chocolate/betta fund. Let's just say for a while now I've only been getting a couple of chocolate bars a month, and for the last month and a half, I haven't had any at all. Not when I have to build barracks, buy tanks, food, medications.. Last month I invested in micro and banana worms, wood, totes, gang valves and T-splitters (For the air line I plan on using in my barracks, which I bought 3 months ago at a cost of 50 bucks for 500 feet). This month I'll buy a little more wood and finish my barracks.

Before I decided I wanted to breed... I was buying tanks where I could find them. And heaters. I was getting bags of sand when I needed them, and it all came out of my chocolate fund. (Some of it went a little over my chocolate fund >.<) I love fish.. I would much rather be around animals then most adults. They're like children to me, and I adore children. But they're expensive. All pets are. My cats have cost me thousands in vet bills. (This is the downside of broken animals). My dog had knee surgery at 6 months old and will need it again on the other knee soon. We call her Puppy-Gold because she's cost so much, lol. But they are like children to me, the only difference is I have a set budget for my animal-children and not for my real child (She gets the rest of the money coming into the house ;) )

Having one or two bettas is nothing. A tank, a heater, a home made divider and a few inexpensive plants. 50-75 bucks.. nothing huge.. but some people can't stop there. like me.

Only get as many betta (Or any pet for that matter) as you can afford. Want 50? Get 5 and love them 10 times as much. But if you're dead set on having 50 bettas, you HAVE to budget! You HAVE to be ready for problems, for sickness. This is a life we are talking about. A little heart that beats, a little brain that thinks and solves problems. A little being that can not care for himself without help.

Would you bring a child into the world if you couldn't cloth it?

*sigh* Sadly.. there are a lot of people these days that would. But there's no welfare programs for fish. You can't get fish-food-stamps.

I guess all I'm trying to say is.. +1 to the original post.

Last edited by MollyJean; 09-05-2012 at 01:47 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #86 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I'm referring to the people who see a sick fish, "save" said sick fish from the petstore, and then post in the illness section 5 days later because they don't know why Trooper isn't getting any better in his 0.5 gallon hospital tank that gets weekly water changes. That is the behavior-action combo that drives me up a wall. If you don't know what illness a rescue fish has or know how to treat the illness, you aren't really saving the fish.

Don't even get me started on the people who see a sick fish, "rescue" it without knowing what the fish has, asks for help on the forum, and then writes a luandry list of reasons for why the treatment is too expensive or unavailable.
And ya'll though I was nuts about being anti disease.. lol. Can't tell you how many times I have read a post and turned the computer off mumbling "idiots".. lol.

I SO totally agree. If you can keep fish healthy and you have had a bunch, then and ONLY THEN are you in a position to rescue. And if all you can afford is salt let the fish die in peace. There is SO much disease out there and it is getting VERY resistent to meds. So those cup huggers [betta version of tree hugger.. lol] end up creating a larger issue. Sure, they are so small they think it does not matter.. but it does. And they flush the dead fish, that ends up in water systems and these resistant bugs are getting out.

I can understand getting a fish mildly off, getting it better and keeping it healthy till the end of its life. Not an option for me. If not velvet or ick I destroy the fish. I have too much to lose.. better one than hundereds. And I am done with trying to figure it out and practice my treating tecniques. If they have genetics I want I may try a med.. but if not better they are gone and I don't look back. For an experienced hobbiest it could be rewarding to give these fish a second chance.

But for a total newb to buy a sick fish, then come to a forum and cry about the sick fish.. you find out they don't have a test kit and have NO idea what their water parameters.. can't afford one they say. They go to a local shop and buy some cheap med they throw at the fish because it treats a lot of stuff and they HOPE it covers what the fish has. But they have no clue about gram neg or positive bacteria, no idea when it might be internals.. and then all the boo hooing about the fishy dying. Should have bought a healthy fish and just enjoyed it and worked on keeping it helathy. Sure, I feel bad for the ones that die in cups. But as long as people buy them, nothing will change.

** time to step off my box now..
Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #87 
Pogthefish

I thunk you are thinking of my rescue pos as you are writing this? :P To be fair I haven't had a betta die in months and I have alot of them (forget the one that died yesterday, she was really old) and I never said I wouldn't buy meds for the sick fish, I said I would buy them if I needed them but not beforehand because I couldn't afford to buy everything at once. But I understand why you would think I was wrong and we have our own separate opinions.

Also, the majority of people who by these fish from petco or petsmart or walmart have no experience and don't know its a bad thing, so even if every fish-keeper in the world stopped, they would still have business.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #88 
DJAinKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
And ya'll though I was nuts about being anti disease.. lol. Can't tell you how many times I have read a post and turned the computer off mumbling "idiots".. lol.

I SO totally agree. If you can keep fish healthy and you have had a bunch, then and ONLY THEN are you in a position to rescue. And if all you can afford is salt let the fish die in peace. There is SO much disease out there and it is getting VERY resistent to meds. So those cup huggers [betta version of tree hugger.. lol] end up creating a larger issue. Sure, they are so small they think it does not matter.. but it does. And they flush the dead fish, that ends up in water systems and these resistant bugs are getting out.

I can understand getting a fish mildly off, getting it better and keeping it healthy till the end of its life. Not an option for me. If not velvet or ick I destroy the fish. I have too much to lose.. better one than hundereds. And I am done with trying to figure it out and practice my treating tecniques. If they have genetics I want I may try a med.. but if not better they are gone and I don't look back. For an experienced hobbiest it could be rewarding to give these fish a second chance.

But for a total newb to buy a sick fish, then come to a forum and cry about the sick fish.. you find out they don't have a test kit and have NO idea what their water parameters.. can't afford one they say. They go to a local shop and buy some cheap med they throw at the fish because it treats a lot of stuff and they HOPE it covers what the fish has. But they have no clue about gram neg or positive bacteria, no idea when it might be internals.. and then all the boo hooing about the fishy dying. Should have bought a healthy fish and just enjoyed it and worked on keeping it helathy. Sure, I feel bad for the ones that die in cups. But as long as people buy them, nothing will change.

** time to step off my box now..
I agree with most of what you wrote here. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll try not to flush any fish from now on. That's the beauty of my 125...the turtles eat the fish when they die, though most of my fish in there are 4+ years old. That said, my longest lived betta was ironically a Petsmart buy.
DJAinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #89 
LadyVictorian

My longest lived fish was from horrid conditions in a bad pet shop that was little and local. My longest lived mice came from petsmart and from the feeder tank from hell. They lived to 3 1/2 average for mice is 1 to 2. I would say life span is more so care than genetics and YES I do say genetics. Ophelia had the worst genetics in the world and cost me $50 every month for medication but look how long she lived with my fickle care. In fact it was because of my little mouse with a poor immune system I couldn't afford a betta until she passed away at the ripe old age of 150 in mouse years.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #90 
Basement Bettas

Back in the day I bought from Walmart. Usually had 3-4 fish at a time. But I bought the best looking ones and kept them healthy for eyars. I felt bad leaving the ones that were almost gone.. but I also like to get my monies worth. Have no desire to spend $5 and have nothing to show for it. My personal opinion is you should not be messing with sick fish unles you know what you are doing. And by the time your fish gets sick.. even if you know EXACTLY what it is.. by the time you purchase the med you have lost valuable time so you HAVE to have meds on hand. Those meds come from being in the hoppy a while. There are some basic things you need in a med chest. If you can't afford to have that stuff on hand then forget about rescuing practically dead fish. Rescue a healthy one.

I totally understand people mean well.. but it is totally nuts to tell everyone you bought a sick fish and then ask for help treating it. And you can't even tell us what the water parameters are. Maybe your water is a toxic dump because you have ammonia spikes.. but you want to hear add salt and everything will be better in the morning. Come daybreak you have a dead fish. He had health issues and because you had no idea what was going on in his water you thow in some salt, shocking his weakened system, dump in some meds that take a toll as well and with the ammonia poisened him to an early death. But you feel good his last hours were in a loving home instead of a cup on a shelf. So the well meaning "resuce" just made his last hours a torture. THAT is what is objectionable and the thread is about. If the thread hits clost to home, maybe need to rethink a few things.