Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

True thanks basement bettas there are no shows in canada so i'm not 100% sure about it but i did do some research and what-not but a veil tail would never compete with a halfmoon now its making more sense :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Anything without a 180* caudel will lose in the shows. That's probably why DeTs, SDeTs, and VTs aren't going to win and all that. Don't know about that "Singletail" category, though.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #13 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
True thanks basement bettas there are no shows in canada so i'm not 100% sure about it but i did do some research and what-not but a veil tail would never compete with a halfmoon now its making more sense :)
I know there are breeders up there as I have met them at shows here in the US. Have you checked with the IBC to see if anything is going on up there?
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #14 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
This is too bad. I recently read something about tailbiters possibly being a genetic anxiety-type of trait bred into a lot of halfmoons because breeders tend to throw the biters into the spawn tank since they cant show them at the time anyway. Then there is a theory that tailbiters are being bred a lot. The article said "think about it, you don't see a lot of tailbiting veiltails, do you?"

I am no expert about that so I don't know if that's really true. But it makes me want a veiltail next time because I have a halfmoon that ate almost his entire fin off.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #15 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
I know there are breeders up there as I have met them at shows here in the US. Have you checked with the IBC to see if anything is going on up there?
I have not checked the ibc recently but will do that. I know there is few breeders up here but is there someone you reccomend buying from i would like a nice green, blue, or red dragon pair to begin my line of bettas. A link to a website would be nice i do not have pay-pal so they would need to accept cash if on AB i would like to check out some auctions though let me know.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
This is too bad. I recently read something about tailbiters possibly being a genetic anxiety-type of trait bred into a lot of halfmoons because breeders tend to throw the biters into the spawn tank since they cant show them at the time anyway. Then there is a theory that tailbiters are being bred a lot. The article said "think about it, you don't see a lot of tailbiting veiltails, do you?"

I am no expert about that so I don't know if that's really true. But it makes me want a veiltail next time because I have a halfmoon that ate almost his entire fin off.
I have a 2 1/2 year old male who is a tailbiter and also he is a veil tail. I don't think tailbiting discriminates. I could obviously say it's more in the long tailed types though. Can't reach it can't bite it right?
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #17 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Probably true. Although my HM looks shorter than a plakat tail at this point! Little bugger apparently can reach a LOT. :(

Well I guess that theory I mentioned was wrong. Good to know.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

OMG *hand over mouth* tailbiting is disturbing.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #19 
Alcemistnv

Pudge just started tail biting. It's not fun at all. I normally wouldn't mind, especially if it makes him feel better, but he's ruining his butterfly Dx

The good thing though is that his fins HAVE grown so he's biting off the excess.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol at can't reach it, can't bite it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote