Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #1 
trilia

Almost got boiled...

A friend of mine rescued a fish from her irresponsible neighbours. They attempted to clean their small fishtank and the water they used for that was boiled. Recently. Then they went to get her opinion because the fish "was behaving strangely". She said that the moment she put her hand in the fishtank, she reflexively took it out, so hot it was. Immediately she caught the fish with her hands and put it in a cup of home-temperature water.

The fish lived through the night in a small container and in the morning she got a fishtank with all equipment, and even bought some plants for it. The fish behaves normally, eats normally. It is a male betta, no idea how old it can be.

The problem:
There appears to be a thin layer of something on his scales. The scales are whole, not sticking out, no scales loss. What do you think it can be? Could you give some advice what else can she do for the fish?
trilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella...sound like it might be slim coat production due to the hot water-Right now I would just leave him alone-making 50% every other day water changes and if you have a tannin source of either IAL or dried Oak leaf add that to the container and have it premixed in the replacement water used for water changes-Dim lit quiet location....

Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #3 
trilia

Update:
The fish has lost that slime coat (looked grey as a stone, really) and it was sucked into the filter. Looks & behaves 100% normal, I cant believe it...

What about your advice on water changes and leafs? Should my friend do that anyways?
trilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Poor guy...Do what OFL suggests, I know people that add IAL to their tanks all the time, even when they don't "need" it, kinda like us eating yogurt or something of the sort. I also will suggest Stress Coat just to help with his slime coat and high protein foods such as NLS or Omega One Betta Buffet. Make sure the water is warm, between 76-80F and like OFL said, change the water 50% every other day and keep him in a dark quiet room.

Keep us posted and good luck.
LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

As Lizzy posted...it won't hurt to use the tannin stained water and I would recommend that you use it if you have some on hand and make the every other day water changes for at least 4-5 days as a precaution-then get back on his regular schedule water changes provided that he remains asymptomatic. Proper nutrition is always a good idea for long term health....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #6 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilia View Post
A friend of mine rescued a fish from her irresponsible neighbours. They attempted to clean their small fishtank and the water they used for that was boiled. Recently. Then they went to get her opinion because the fish "was behaving strangely". She said that the moment she put her hand in the fishtank, she reflexively took it out, so hot it was. Immediately she caught the fish with her hands and put it in a cup of home-temperature water.
Wow. It's hard to believe people can be so absolutely STUPID and yet there are stories like this and worse every second of the day
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boil boiled