Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #1 
rfourn47

Male Betta making wierd noises

My male betta Tyson makes these weird noises all day long. I couldn't quite pinpoint the noise until one night when i came hope around 1:00 AM and heard the noise again. I put my ear to the fish bowl and sure enough it was coming from my betta. I made a video of the noise. It's tough to see the betta since it was dark, but you can hear the noise it makes at about the 5 second and 22 second marks. does anyone know what this noise means? it's kinda creeping me out like he's pissed off or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUvbfVQJiAw&feature=plcp
rfourn47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #2 
registereduser

what the......
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #3 
Jupiter

Sounds kinda like a cicada...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #4 
lelei

Wow..I was always wondering if Bettas do make any noise, as all animals do, I was wondering why fish don't ...hmm maybe they do..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

Fish do make noises to one another when communicating. Usually its different clicks and deep, ultrasonic grumbling noises. Some fish even use their natural electrical currents to send out communicative noises. I am curious as to whether or not you have another animal in that tank. If not, have you ruled out that noise as coming from a filter? My filter sometimes makes a whirring noise every now and again.

Its not that I am skeptical, its just that I am approaching this with logic and and want all other possible sources of said noise ruled out before saying its the betta.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #6 
rfourn47

i hear ya crabby. i was skeptical too until i actually put my ear to the bowl. originally i thought it was the TV or cable box or something. it can't be the filter since it lives in just a fish bowl (no filter, etc.) and before anyone says that bettas would be better off in a filtered tank...i know....but that isn't the point of this post so please spare me. it DOES live with and african dwarf frog that stays at the bottom of the tank. i've ruled out it being the frog since he is on the bottom of the tank, i doubt he would make such a loud noise. the betta sits at the top of the tank all day, barely moving, so i think the noise must be coming from him. i used to have him at work but he was so damn boring, i brought him home and brought my female betta to work since she actually has a personality. He never made this noise when at work. the noise is so loud that i can actually hear it over the tv. it's weird.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

Actually, male African dwarf frogs make a croaking noise exactly like that in the video. They do so to call out to females for mating. I am now sure that it was your frog and not the fish.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 
rfourn47

really??? i'll run a test over the weekend....i'll remove my betta and see if the sound is still there. i will update on monday.... if it is the frog, the poor bastard's been croaking for weeks. he must be horny as hell!
thanx for the input....
Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #9 
MollyJean

Thank you so much for posting this, rfourn47. I had been considering getting an ADF for a while (it's a 2 hour drive to the pet store, that's the only thing that's stopped me.) but had never heard the sound they make. No thank you!!! lol. That gave me the creeps!!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #10 
rfourn47

i've had many african dwarf frogs and i've NEVER heard them make a peep. still not totally convinced its the frog. i will find out this weekend because whoever it is, its driving me batty.