Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #1 
graphics787

new to bettas

hi,i am 15 years old and i need help with my new betta.his name is graphic,he is black,purple and yellow.Now i just have a few questions.Is a 45 gallon tank too much room for one betta,what are these bubbles that he makes at the top of the tank,i put some lillies,swordtails,and some coreys in with him,and he picks at the snail that i put in,is that natural for him.please help,and thank you.
graphics787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #2 
Neo

Re: new to bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphics787
hi,i am 15 years old and i need help with my new betta.his name is graphic,he is black,purple and yellow.Now i just have a few questions.Is a 45 gallon tank too much room for one betta,what are these bubbles that he makes at the top of the tank,i put some lillies,swordtails,and some coreys in with him,and he picks at the snail that i put in,is that natural for him.please help,and thank you.

I would like to start of by saying WELCOME, and i dont think that 45 gallons is too much room, that sounds awesome. The bubbles he makes is a bubble nest, it is a sign of healthyness and happiness. Some pick at snails and some dont, if he continues to pick at it remove the snail. Sounds like you have a nice aquarium going, post some pics. Also read the thread on betta fish care if this is your first, make sure you have a heater. and if you have any more questions please post, welcome once again and talk to ya later.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #3 
It'sJames

Welcome to Fish Forum! I like when other people my age join, becuase then I can tell my friends that I'm not the only teenager into fish... they think I have to many tanks in my room or something.

I've kept my bettas in a 28 gallon tank, and they did great. Make sure the water current isn't too strong, as a male betta's fins aren't made for strong swimming. My bettas will kill any snail they find in their tank, but some bettas will just ignore them eventually.

Just like Neo said, a bubblenest means a happy & healthy betta, so no worries there. Your betta sounds really cool! Post some pics of him & the tank if you can. :D
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #4 
Meatpuppet

to add to the bubblenest thing... its a natural thing for bettas to blow a bubble nest when they are ready to mate when happy and healthy. They hold the eggsand if he has one it doesnt mean you have to get him a mate though
welcome to the forum and good luck with your betta
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #5 
paws

45 gallon would be better than perfect! Remember: the more the merrier! So the more space the merrier you betta will be.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #6 
graphics787

one more question,my betta is doing backflips in and out of the water,is that normal?
graphics787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #7 
Flashygrrl

Ummmmm....no. What's your water temp, and it's good to get a liquid test kit and test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. We like API's master kit here.

Most other fish would work ok in there too just avoid larger ones (too aggressive, usually) or ones with any longer type fins. Maybe neons or cardinals, perhaps rasboras? I'm sure the cories will be happy, how many do you have?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #8 
Ariel

Mine did that! Except not out of the water. If your is alive, than maybe it isnt the same thing. I'm pretty sure mine had a seizure.
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote