Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 
kevinbacon

Skittish betta netting problems?

Hi, I'm new on this site, so try to be patient! I have a smaller tank since I don't have the money nor the space for a proper sized tank, so I have to do water changes quite frequently. The only problem is that my crowntail dragonscale is extremely skittish. I can sometimes get him to float into a cup so I can do his changes, but like today, I had to use my very fine, soft, mesh net to scoop him up. He freaked out and was really still for a few minutes. I was so scared he was going to pass away, but he's back to his normal fishy self! The net didn't harm him, by the way, just really scared him. Any recommendations on how to make this process easier and less heart-stopping for the both of us?

Thanks!
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum ! That is a tough one to answer...I hate to net my little guy too but only had to do it once when I moved him from his half gallon bowl to his 5 gallon tank, he was only in the small one for a week white I waited for the tank I ordered on line to get here. What I did when he was in the small one I used a turkey baster to get the water out with and only left enough water in to cover him but you have to be sure the water you are putting in is the same or close to it temp as the water he is in to avoid shock. Or maybe when you feed him you could train him to swim into a cup to get his food.

Good luck I am sure others will be along with more ideas.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

A nice clear cup will make it easier (like the betta cups they come in at the pet store). You can float the cup and turn it to face whichever direction he is heading so he can swim right into it.

Luring him with food will also make it easier. Bettas can be such gluttons~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Hey there and welcome to the forum! I have one betta just like that too. Sometimes I can get him in the cup easily, and sometime I have to net him. He is just fine afterwards though. I'm going to try placing a pellet in the cup the next time and see how that works! Best of luck to you and again, welcome!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 
kevinbacon

The luring into the cup with food is actually an excellent idea. He's constantly swimming up to the food hole whenever I approach his tank and "begging" for food. lol I think I'll give that a try next time. Thanks!
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

The best tool I've found for scooping bettas are measuring cups. I use a 1/3 cup to scoop my fish and it works great.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, net, tank cleaning