Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 
rostele

Question Moving to area high pH

I have had my betta, Frankie, for about 3 years now. Frankie lives in a 29 gallon planted tank and I would like to keep him happy/healthy. We are going to be moving to an area with quite hard water and a pH just over 8 (currently living in an area with pH just under 7). What percentage water do you think I can change to the new pH at a time without hurting him? 20%?

Thanks all!
rostele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 
Sowman

If possible I would bring as much of the old tank water over to the new location and do maybe 5-10% water changes every week. Over time your betta will be fine with high Ph but you have to slowly make that adjustment. Since you have plants you can try adding CO2, since that will lower PH levels as well (just a thought).
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I live in a high ph/hard water place. I'm thinking of trying some products like a water softening pillow (looks like a big tea bag) or trying peat granules again. They all are supposed to be added to the filter. Maybe you could try those.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

8 is ok. you will need to acclimitize him slowly to the new water.
bring a few gallons of the original water with you. when you do water changes, start by mixing about 10% of the new water, then 20, 30, 40 etc until you switch completely over to the new water.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 
rostele

Thanks guys- sounds like my 20% guess might have been a bit aggressive I'll bring water from the previous residence over to the new one and change it out a couple gallons at a time.

I've lived in the area I am moving to before and unfortunately they buffer the water so additives don't do much of anything. I was keeping much more sensitive fish at the time and an R.O. filter was the only thing that got the pH down significantly. I did try the peat granules though. It changes the color of the water a LOT.

Frankie thanks you all mucho for your advice!
rostele is offline   Reply With Quote