Betta Fish Forum banner

I am a bit worried about my 2 males

417 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  otter 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I have a separated 10 gallon tank with one veil tail and one half moon!
I am a bit worried about my babies.

The divider is plexi glass and has holes drilled all over so that water flows through and by the looks of it, it is working.
I have a moss ball and a glazed ceramic pot one one side, and a fake plant and another pot on the other. One side has a 10 gallon filter.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
low nitrates
ph 9.. at the moment, I JUST put in oak leaves to lower it.
The oak leaves lowered my tester water to a 7.5

My problems are:

Rag, Veil tail age 2 has red dots all over his body. Someone suggested that this was septicemia. There are large red dots on body that look like broken blood vessels, and small red dots on tail. These bumps are not raised. It does not look like velvet our a parasite on the outer body. He used to be in the side without the filter, and I thought that maybe there was ammonia on that side because it wasnt filtering right, so I moved him to the other side, but the dots stayed the same. He isnt showing any signs of sickness or irritation and is acting the same as the other fish. If this seems like septicima please tell me what to do! I have salt and kanaplex so if that will treat him tell me please!

Moon, Half moon age 1.5. I have never seen what fin rot looks like, but his tail has thinner edges. It doesn't really look like his fins are rotting away but it looks like the tips are more clear than the rest. He is acting normal and is on the unfiltered side. If anyone has an example of fin rot can you show me or tell me?

This tank is really annoying and When I first started out fish keeping I over crowded the tank and had lots of fatalities because I didn't really know anything. I just changed the filter cartridge today and changed 40% of the water because there was a weird film on the surface of the water around th filter. I have had many difficulties with this tank.

I was thinking of adding a 5 gallon filter to the side without a filter so in case the 10 gallon filter wasn't cleaning out the other side this would do the trick!
Do you think that will help?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Can you add pics?
im concerned about the one with the red dots. But clear growth on the tips is probably new growth.

edit: wait, you replaced the filter cartridge? youre going to have to re cycle the tank then because that just removed majority of your beneficial bacteria.

the film might be protein film caused by fish foods, can you post a pic of that too? I dont understand how it can have a film, is your filter creating surface movement?

#3 ·
I will post the red dots in a bit c: and the film was gone after I changed the water, and the cycling is fine right now, there actually doesnt seem to be a problem with ammonia etc

#4 ·
Okay, keep an eye on it test often because there probably will be ammonia soon since majority of the BB live on the filter cartridge. You may have needed to just swish it in tank water. Guck builds up, so swishing in used tank water regularly will help get any yuckies out without destroying the BB and helping with water flow.

#5 ·
Thank you! Oh I took a pretty good quality picture so I hope it helps. I am on an iPhone right now so I can't upload but later tonight I will post it!

#6 ·
Here is rag, I am pretty worried, but he isnt acting any different so hm..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.