Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Betta by Window: Pros and Cons

I decided to move Buddha over for a bit while I'm working on the 3gal I have. I didn't want to put him near the window at first because of the heat, but I moved him over seeing as how it's a bit "colder" than normal. His tank temp actually went down from the 83 it was at to a 78.

Now, I know that being exposed to direct sunlight (he really isn't considering my window is blocked by trees) can increase algae growth. Is there anything else bad about it?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

78 is okay for a Betta direct light also causes temp changes when light is gone.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

oh, thats understandalbe. But seeing as how its mostly shade right now, even when the sun is out, i dont htink it should be too bad
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 
Pilot00

I think betta prefer darker waters, so direct sunlight might be troubling / annoying for them?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The light warms the water at night the light is gone.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

He has a lamp over him right now. Not directly, but enough to give him some light :)
Water temp. is still good.

And I will see if he changes behavior because of it. But since it's night time theres no sun now.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sun light is actually good for bettas, though some may not like it too much. In my area, it is advise to give them "sun baths" every morning for about 15 minute or so. It enhances their color and strengthen their fins, in the least. It should also reduce a few types of parasites/bacteria (not sure which ones).

Temp fluctuation due to sunlight is very gradual .... unless you have a sudden weather change .... so it should be safe.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #8 
harleraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Sun light is actually good for bettas, though some may not like it too much. In my area, it is advise to give them "sun baths" every morning for about 15 minute or so. It enhances their color and strengthen their fins, in the least. It should also reduce a few types of parasites/bacteria (not sure which ones).
Really? Do you just move the whole tank over? If I have my betta in a community tank, that won't be feasible, but if I have him in a smaller tank, maybe I can take him over to the window for some light each morning.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Yup! window is actually great especially if it doesnt get any or receives very little direct sunlight!

however when the weather gets colder, so dows thw window ledge, keep an eye out to see if your heater can keep up. especially in NY!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #10 
harleraven

The window he would be at does not get direct light, so that would be perfect. :) He will be either away from the window in a community tank or on my desk (also away from the window), so the temperature fluctuation should not be an issue (Illinois, so we have cold winters, too!). I want to do what is right for my soon-to-be betta baby. :D

Right now the community tank is too warm, so we are having to bring the temperature down. I tend to like it warm in the office, so we are working on figuring out exactly what we need to do to get the tank the right temperature. We have a while to figure it out, anyway, as the tank is cycling.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote