Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #51 
syds mom

Ive tried to feed him again on and off all day but nothing.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #52 
Sakura8

Yes, go ahead and switch to epsom salt. I've lost track but if he's in AQ salt, do a change and get that out first.

Darn, I was really hoping he'd eat more. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #53 
syds mom

Hes in clean water change with API general cure and kanaplex. So just add epsom salt to it?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #54 
Sakura8

Yes, that will work just fine. 3 tsps per gallon. Poor little guy. You're doing a great job with him. :)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #55 
syds mom

Last night he was looking ok and this morning downhill. Just put E.salt in. Im starting to think the worse is about to come.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #56 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, syds mom. You've really gone above and beyond caring for this little guy and he is very lucky to have ended up in your care. At least with you he's had a fighting chance.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #57 
syds mom

Sakura8, I need true thoughts on how much more to put him thru if he gets worse.What I mean is I dont want him to suffer. I am willing to go the lengths with him but to have him suffer is another thing. You know the saying ( what would you do )
Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #58 
Sakura8

The decision to euthanize is not an easy one and I've seen a few bettas bounce back from what I was absolutely sure was a death sentence. But there also comes a time when everything has been tried and the fish is clearly in distress. Generally, the criteria I use to judge whether or not enough is enough is if the betta will eat, if they can swim at all, and if they are laying on the bottom gasping with heavy gill movement. The last one is the biggest indicator of distress.

If it was just his popeye and he was in pretty good spirits otherwise, I would say he still has a chance but the fact that he's not eating is worrisome to me. He can still pull through but his odds got a little smaller. If it helps you make a decision, fish don't feel pain and discomfort in the same way we humans do. He's not suffering the same way a dog or other mammal would in the same situation.

You will make the right decision, whatever it is, I know that much. If you do decide that he has been through enough, just let us know and we can help you through the process of euthanization.

No matter what, Tidbit has been incredibly lucky to have you in his life.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #59 
syds mom

I just checked him again and he is still in the same spot as he was 2 hours ago. I did try to feed him a few brine shrimp but no luck. I will check to see how he is doing tomorrow, He is so lifeless, its so sad. Yesterday I thought he was going to have a fighting chance but overnight he took a big turn for the worse. I couldnt believe it when I woke up and saw him. If he gets aany worse I may need do whats best for him. Yes, his odds are looking smaller, Im hoping for a miracle.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #60 
syds mom

Here it is another day and hes alive! I changed water again this morning and put meds back in. No improvement but at least he doesnt look worse. I have decided to give him a few more days with medication just in case.
Now I have to figure out how to sterilize the 5 gallon tank that I put him in for the night that I got him. I am afraid that there could be a chance that whatever he has might be in it.Any thoughts on sterilizing it. I am going to throw substrate away.
As for live plants Im not sure but for the tank,
I have read that you can use bleach and I have read that bleack is a NO NO