Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #11 
tn102

Any specific brand I should get?

I don't know as to why it is cloudy. I did put a Jungle Start Right tablet and a pH Correct tablet in it to try to make the water more suitable. I put some Jungle Clear Water in it last night in hopes of maybe clearing it up, but nothing has developed from it.

I'm thinking just drain the water and clean the gravel and decorations and fill it back up with bottled water would be best. One I get my other filter and such in Is when I'll do that (should be tomorrow or the next day)Then I'll switch everything over. Hopefully the partial change last night and one I'll do tonight/tomorrow morning will be sufficient enough for him. until it arrives.
tn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #12 
starrlamia

i find those tablets make my water cloudy so they could be why. Bottled water is bottled water, I would do half bottled and half tap, you want to make sure there are essential minerals in the water (you can get RO/distilled and either add minerals or do half tap).
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

How about Spring water ? Do you have bad water that comes out of your tap or something ? Why are you using the ph tablets ..what is your tap water ph ? Sorry so many questions just trying to understand to see if I might be able to help you.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #14 
tn102

The ph from the tap water was well above 8.4. The water tastes fine, but it is well water.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #15 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh I see...sorry I dont know anything about well water. Maybe like someone said to sit out a jug of the well water and let is sit for 24 hours and check the ph again. I think real sea shells are suppose to bring the ph down. I would use Spring water since it still has the minerals in it your water needs till you find out about how to bring the ph level down.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #16 
starrlamia

Sea shells are likely to raise ph since additional calcium will make the water hard. You could use ial or Driftwood.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #17 
tn102

Got 6 gallon bottles of Absopure Spring Water. Will change the big tank over tomorrow. Clean the gravel for it as well as the rest of the gravel from the bag I had purchased for the small tank, about 1/2 a bag. Then just unplug the heater, wait 15 minutes, move everything to the big tank from the small tank, fill it with water,and plug it all back in, letting the heater heat as I move him into the tank.

I like the spot my current tank is in, so hopefully I can move it there instead, looks like it will fit, just got to clean around it first (have everything for him sitting in front)

He is scaring me a bit though, as he is just hanging out at the top. I was suppose to change the water today, but I am pushing it until tomorrow since I have fresh water for the big tank. He still will swim around if i come over to the tank. Hopefully this water will work. Still hasn't eaten either.

Could it be that there is just too many minerals in the water? If that is possible, I'm thinking that could be the reason that is is very cloudy. I filled it up Sunday afternoon and had let it sit until Monday night, where it did become a bit cloudy from just sitting. After the tablets it just has gotten cloudier. The pH was way to high before the tablets though. Guess it won't matter now that I have fresh water to put in it.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

I suggest to PM Olympia about your water problems. it seems possible for your PH to fluctuate with very soft water....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #19 
tn102

He is in the big tank now, to which he seems a bit happier. His fins are not looking like they were when I got him, they look to be torn and the top fin is just flat. I cant get a good picture of him with my phone, the flash won't turn off. He is swimming more though, but still hasn't eaten.