Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

10g NPT up and running! (pic heavy)

After all the fuss and muss I got my planted tank going! I ran into a sale at my lfs and bunch plants were a $1 each! I didn't end up with the soil substrate that I had wanted to do because I already had a gravel tank set up when I found the plants..however I am very excited to see how this goes...Bali Blaze and Bandit Bijan are really loving their new digs!
I wish I had been able to get pics from the day I got the tank, made the divider etc. however, I had no batteries in my camera, but here it is!
Name:  001 (600x443).jpg
Views: 93
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  003 (600x450).jpg
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  004 (600x450).jpg
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  005 (600x446).jpg
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  006 (600x442).jpg
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  007 (600x437).jpg
Size:  37.6 KB
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Looks great!!
Its not called npt without the soil
Ive wanted to set up an npt but I have the same dilema than you do... established tank that I don't want to break down. Will be planting this weekend. Have a tubload of plants to use!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Looks great!!
Its not called npt without the soil
Ive wanted to set up an npt but I have the same dilema than you do... established tank that I don't want to break down. Will be planting this weekend. Have a tubload of plants to use!
LOL, yes I realize not a true NPT without the soil. I still have more plants to add, the ones you see floating in the pic. I just want to give it a few days and decide where I am putting them. I will end up making it a true NPT at some point I'm thinking.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #4 
starrlamia

looks great!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Nice job.....as long as you have the correct color temp light that will support photosynthesis-the plants should do fine and when you make your trimmings-re-plant them and soon you will have plenty to start another tank....and that one you could start with the dirt to make your natural planted tank....

One thing about plants...when happy they reproduce really fast and you find yourself needing more tanks....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Nice job.....as long as you have the correct color temp light that will support photosynthesis-the plants should do fine and when you make your trimmings-re-plant them and soon you will have plenty to start another tank....and that one you could start with the dirt to make your natural planted tank....

One thing about plants...when happy they reproduce really fast and you find yourself needing more tanks....lol.....
LOL, I love the idea of needing more tanks, hubby not so much..ha ha. The light I am using is 7800k, but the CRI is only 11..My understanding is that the CRI should be a lot higher than that...so, I'm still not sure on the light. I'm leaving it on about 10-12 hours a day. The filter is running on low, at water level, but I removed the carbon from the it, so it is basically just the cartridge with the batting on it..is this okay? I don't want to deplete CO2, but I don't want algae either..so much to remember.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Oh yeah, I moved my other two fish into a divided 5g..hubby threatened to hide the bowls lol
Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #8 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Oh yeah, I moved my other two fish into a divided 5g..hubby threatened to hide the bowls lol
My hubby made me double triple promise I wouldn't get any more tanks or fish.. I broke that twice :P Now he gives me the stinkeye every time I come home with a moss ball container since it looks just like the fish containers hehe :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
My hubby made me double triple promise I wouldn't get any more tanks or fish.. I broke that twice :P Now he gives me the stinkeye every time I come home with a moss ball container since it looks just like the fish containers hehe :)
Ha ha ha...yup. My hubby likes the fish more than he lets on, but he definitely thinks that 6 are enough...he just doesn't understand lol.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

The color temp range from 5000-7500k for live plants-Ideally 6500k or kelvin for florescent bulbs for live plants..On 10-12h/day PP...

Some species of algae is normal, expected and a sign of a healthy system, however, since this is a closed system-manual removal of algae is needed on a regular bases just like water changes are needed....Just part of keeping aquariums...Its a balance too....by maintaining the balance you can limit excessive algae to a degree. Understanding and maintaining the balance comes with time and experience....a bit of trial and error....etc.....

Good that you removed the carbon-its not needed especially with live plants-with that said....Its a good idea to always have some fresh unused carbon on hand for emergencies....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote