Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The color temp range from 5000-7500k for live plants-Ideally 6500k or kelvin for florescent bulbs for live plants..On 10-12h/day PP...

Some species of algae is normal, expected and a sign of a healthy system, however, since this is a closed system-manual removal of algae is needed on a regular bases just like water changes are needed....Just part of keeping aquariums...Its a balance too....by maintaining the balance you can limit excessive algae to a degree. Understanding and maintaining the balance comes with time and experience....a bit of trial and error....etc.....

Good that you removed the carbon-its not needed especially with live plants-with that said....Its a good idea to always have some fresh unused carbon on hand for emergencies....
So, is the 7800k bulb that is in there too much?
So, basically at times the top of the tank will look like the top of a pond? How do you remove the algae?
Yeah, I'm going to have a couple of regular/carbon filters on hand. thanks!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I would try the bulb you have for now-provided that it is under 1 year old and as long as the plants are thriving-wait to change it-but once its a year old or the plants are not doing well....Change it to a "Daylight 6500K".....

What kind of algae do you have floating on the surface......If its hair or thread-it might be due to too high watts or light too close to the surface of the water. If it is protein scum-that can sometimes be expected from limited water movement at the surface-paper towel laid on the surface will remove it.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would try the bulb you have for now-provided that it is under 1 year old and as long as the plants are thriving-wait to change it-but once its a year old or the plants are not doing well....Change it to a "Daylight 6500K".....

What kind of algae do you have floating on the surface......If its hair or thread-it might be due to too high watts or light too close to the surface of the water. If it is protein scum-that can sometimes be expected from limited water movement at the surface-paper towel laid on the surface will remove it.
Great thanks...The light is brand new. And I don't have any algae..yet, I'm just wanting to avoid as much as I can, and know what to do if/when I do encounter it. Yeah, there is a small film on top, but I get that in my regular tanks at times too..I don't worry about it as long as I know the tank is clean.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote