Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #1 
Ladon

Exclamation Advice please...

I happened upon my betta about 3 months ago at a graduation party, they had them in small glass jars with flower decor that made it hard for the beautiful little guys to swim, anyhow I was the lucky winner at my table and won this amazing little fellow I now call Ladon... The next day I went out and got him a small fish bowl, heater and air stone for a temporary home until I could get the small 5 gal tank which I purchased at the same time to cycle ( FYI- I jump started my cycle by placing my new filter's sponge and bio balls and some of the sand/soil sub in my moms koi pond which is healthy and well maintained).... I just wanted to give Him the best possible natural home I could... He's been in this cycled tank for about a month now and had been doing fantastic up until 5 days ago when I noticed white fuzzy stuff on the tips of his tail fins, it looked to me like the stuff was eating away at it, so I called my mom in a panic and she came by to inspect thy fish... She said it was ick so we went out and purchased ich med and he's been treated following the label... after the full med treatment, yesterday i removed him from the tank because the white fuzzy on his tips was gone but it also took with it a piece of each of his tail tips that it was attached too... I put him in a small critter tank with Aq salt, heater, and air stone this will be his second day in this tank.. My question is should I remove everything from his home and serialize the tank, remove and throw away plants, sub, decor... Buy all new stuff and re cycle the tank??? I don't want him to get this again, no way and I'm really scared to place him back in that tank... Oh and I was wondering if it was ick would it grow on plants because I have a plant that looks like grass and this white fuzzy stuff is on each thin blade... It seems as tho it's die'n off on the grass with the ick treatment but I'm just not sure, because i still see some white fuzzy still attached to the grass even tho its not doing well...Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you...

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes a small canister type
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Plants, 1 small apple snails, 2 clams, 1 ghost shrimp, and a dwarf frog...

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets, dried daphnia, mysis & blood worms he also gets live mosquito larva and he sometimes steals the frog and tadpole bite's, that's if he takes it away from the shrimp & frog which they all go back and forth stealing from each other until devoured...oh and frozen blood worms too...
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Everyday I do a 10% except on wednesday's I do a 75-85%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? It depends on the day read above answer..
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra water conditioner + slime coat, tetra easy balance plus, acurel bodyguardRx, Acurel healthguard and live bacteria during my 75-85% water changes...

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH: 6.0
Hardness: 8.0
Alkalinity: 6.0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tips of tail missing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active, but is eating well
When did you start noticing the symptoms?5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API super ick cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure
Ladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #2 
DiiQue

ICH will die off without a host. If it is ICH that you have, you should turn up the heat in the tank (removing the other live animals there) as heat will accelerate their growth. I've been told ich in its final stage of life (when they are free swimming, looking for a new host to eat) will only last about 4 days if it does not find a host.. but I would wait a week. I had the same problem with ich and I took out my betta and all the live plants and flooded the tank with AQ salt (1tbsp per gallon) and added the same amount every 12 hours for 2 days... kept the tank in this condition for about a week to be on the safe side and then did a 100% water change. I also rinsed out everything in boiling hot water. The betta that was infected didn't make it, but I moved Doctor Z into the bigger tank and he's been happy as can be with no signs of ick. Good luck!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #3 
Silverfang

I don't think you have ich. You described fuzzy white. I'm guessing either a fungus or columnarious. Both are treated with AQ salt, 1 tsp gal, and watch. You said it disappeared? That is good, just keep him on the salt for a week to 10 days to make sure there is no re occurrence. IF you can lower the temp to 76 degrees.

You mention fuzzy stuff on the plant, (I'm assuming it's alive since you say it's not looking so hot) it's possible that a new plant brought in a disease. If not QT'ed you can bring in disease, parasites, snails. There is also the chance this is not a true aquatic plant, is it mondo grass?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #4 
Ladon

Unhappy

I think what is bothering me is that I'm not even sure it was ICK, i was in a panic and called the only person I know that knows anything about fish and their care. The ICK treatment is working it took the stuff off his tail and seems to be slowly killing it on the plant... But it's the what if it's not ICK and I put Ladon back in tank with whatever it is that is eating away at his tail tips.. I know this because i saw the tips flooding about in the Hospital tank when I put him in... so what I've done is take a couple pictures of him and the unknown grass that has the white fuzzy on it and see what you folks have to say about it.. Should I treat with something different or do you think I may have treated for the wrong thing?
Name:  Ladon 1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  Ladon 2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  Ladon 3.jpg
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  Ladon 4.jpg
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  Grass 1.jpg
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  Fuzzy Grass 1.jpg
Size:  29.7 KB
Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
Ladon

Thank you so very much for the reply's, I know it's kind of hard to give advice when the person asking is not even sure what the heck they are treating... So I included pic's above so that people like yourselves may be better able to tell me what it may be? What to do and how to do it...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I'm not sure what the plant is, you might try asking in the plant subforum. Normally deep substrate cleaning is needed, but since you have sand that isn't very possible. I've asked Sakura if she could suggest something.

If that is mondo grass you will want to pull it as mondo grass is not truely aquatic.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote