Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #1 
KarenKupferberg

Question Water

Hi,
Right now I only use the Betta stress coat in my tanks. and my fish have lived for years.

But I'm moving (don't know when yet, still looking), and I'm scared that the water won't be good where I'm going. I guess I will buy the test kit, and see what it is. but how do I fix it if there is a problem with the water in the new place? I heard about drops of stuff?

sorry, I'm new to that stuff
KarenKupferberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #2 
katydidmischief

There's a lot of additives on the market that'll change the water quality. Mine is hard so I add a little Neutral regulator when I do larger changes in order to soften it and to lower the pH.

For now, I'd say get the test kit and see what the water quality is. It might be perfectly fine once you add the stress coat+ to it since it conditions the water.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Your fish will be fine with the stress coat as long as it is also a water conditioner. These remove chlorine from the water. If your source water also contains chloritamines, you need to make sure that your water conditioner handles these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidmischief View Post
There's a lot of additives on the market that'll change the water quality. Mine is hard so I add a little Neutral regulator when I do larger changes in order to soften it and to lower the pH..
Most of the time, the water treatment folks don't add anything to make the water harder. It's just the body of water where your tap water comes from is hard. That being said, it's not a wise idea to use those products that claim to change water chemistry unless you understand how they work. Betta are hardy and may be able to survive these damaging products, but more sensitive fish would be killed by the rapid changes in pH. You are not actually softening the water by adding "neutral regulator". The only way to soften hard water is to dilute it with RO water.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 
KarenKupferberg

Thank you :)
KarenKupferberg is offline   Reply With Quote