Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #71 
nel3

my nerite snail is very efficient in eating algea though he does leave alot of presents behind. im glad i decided to stick with only 1 in my 5g,
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #72 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
my nerite snail is very efficient in eating algea though he does leave alot of presents behind. im glad i decided to stick with only 1 in my 5g,
Aww haha they're so cute c:
Someone on the forum a few months ago had a betta in a 1 gallon bowl with a snail. The pet store person said the water never needs changed because the snail cleans it all o_______o
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #73 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Aww haha they're so cute c:
Someone on the forum a few months ago had a betta in a 1 gallon bowl with a snail. The pet store person said the water never needs changed because the snail cleans it all o_______o
i love the nerites also. no large antennae to much on and they dont leave egg clutches in fresh water. i got nothing against common pond snails but they overpopulate easily. i prefer nerites, horned snails, olive snails and any small snail that need brackish water to reproduce. lol i think my snail is the only pet i have (baring occasional feeder crickets) that doesnt have a name.

Last edited by nel3; 09-08-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #74 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Sorry I don't feel like reading through all the pages but I will list the ones I've heard.

MYTHS..
- betta like small spaces
- you only have to replace the water that evaporates and never need to do a water change
- snails clean (HAHAHA yeah they poop like crazy so it's not really cleaning)
- males can live with females
- Bubble nest = happy
- Bettas will eat plant roots... OR CORN
- bettas live at room temp
Bettas can live in room temp if the temp is 78-82F with no temp changes. I have so many heated heated tanks the water stays 76-78F warm enough for guppies.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #75 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
i love the nerites also. no large antennae to much on and they dont leave egg clutches in fresh water. i got nothing against common pond snails but they overpopulate easily. i prefer nerites, horned snails, olive snails and any small snail that need brackish water to reproduce. lol i think my snail is the only pet i have (baring occasional feeder crickets) that doesnt have a name.
I like pond snails my assassin snails love they're taste right now they eat flakes.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #76 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Bettas can live in room temp if the temp is 78-82F with no temp changes. I have so many heated heated tanks the water stays 76-78F warm enough for guppies.
I know, my point being they tend to just say "room temp" while everyone has different room temps.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #77 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
I know, my point being they tend to just say "room temp" while everyone has different room temps.
Oh that in a temperate region my room always stays tropical probably beacause no air currcalation and two tropical tanks. Can you believe someone thought bettas are genetically modified or use tools and have complex lives mine eat swim and mate.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #78 
nel3

Quote:
I like pond snails my assassin snails love they're taste right now they eat flakes.
my main issue with snails is the egg clutches. i heard its at times hard to remove them. i like snails that have a fixed gender so i can keep them seperate without worrying of growing in poultation. though assasin snail are ones id get if i ever came across an overpopulated tank.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #79 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
my main issue with snails is the egg clutches. i heard its at times hard to remove them. i like snails that have a fixed gender so i can keep them seperate without worrying of growing in poultation. though assasin snail are ones id get if i ever came across an overpopulated tank.
I am pretty sure assassin snails eat eggs mine eat flake food. Some pond snails are showing up in my 10 gallon if it gets bad enough my apple snail in a floating fish holder and add the assassin snails in but assassins can not get rid of a snail problem they can lower the snail population significantly.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #80 
nel3

Quote:
I am pretty sure assassin snails eat eggs mine eat flake food. Some pond snails are showing up in my 10 gallon if it gets bad enough my apple snail in a floating fish holder and add the assassin snails in but assassins can not get rid of a snail problem they can lower the snail population significantly.
so lettuce is still the best option to remove pond snails for any good amount of time. i cant use my algea flakes for nerite. my VT is greedy and eats it off the gravel. i do have a diatom issue that the nerite deals with.