Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

common for new fish??

I just got a new male betta yersterday evening, I acclimated him for 20 mins then placed him in the tank. Hes in a divided tank but hes the only one in there. Hes a healthy looking boy, nice and plump, no fin rot, got him from petco i think he came in with the new shipment. Yesterday when I walked into the room he darted around the tank because i think i startled him. Hes gotten used to people walking in and out of the room so it doesnt jump him as much now. I tried feeding him some pellets this AM and he acted like he didnt even see them. I tried to push a pellet around on the water surface and he flipped out about my finger coming into the water and darted again. I then attempted a flake, he saw it but wasnt interest...I took it out. I was worried he was sick but then I placed in a dried blood worm and after about 3 minutes he finally checked it out, he flared at it then took a taste. He acted like he couldnt really swollow but perhaps hes just never had one before lol. He did eat it and didnt spit it out. I gave him one more and left it at that. Anywho I guess what im asking is...

-are some betta's just naturally jumpy or will he settle down in a few days?
-will he get used to my hands being in the tank, im worried ill put my hand in and he'll flip out and jump out of the tank.
-is there anything I can do to help him settle in? he looks like hes ready to fight 24/7 lol. Im hoping he'll be okay in the divided tank when he has a buddy! I sealed the divider and made a jump guard so neither will be able to access the otherside. There will able be a java on each side of the divider. Each side also has a moss ball and his side currently has an anubias nana and a clay pot to hid in.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 
Friendlyfishies

scratch that he still startles pretty bad when you walk in the room. I just dont want him to hurt himself eek!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

He will take a few days to get used to his new "territory"...he is nervous right now, but once he feels at home he will settle down. Don't worry about feeding him during this time..he won't starve, and giving him blood worms right now, may turn him off of pellets and you don't want that lol. Time is all he needs...make sure his water temp is good and stable also. Best of luck!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #4 
registereduser

Is he a plakat type or long finned? The shorter finned guys are way more active/faster moving from what I've seen.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 
lelei

It is very common..and hevwill get used to yu..you may want him to see yur finger on the outside of thevtank they play chase like that..they love ti follow with their eyes at first..then they chase itas far as feeding goes they like to jump atvthe finger if yu moisten yur finger a lil bit and put a pellett on yur finger tip..it will statrle yubtho so I wouldnt advisevit now.but when he gets used to yu he will be fine..look at him a lot let him seevyur face and talk to him a lot..call his name every time..i dobit often with a skittish fish and they come around qwickly:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

Thanks everyone, makes me feel way better. He is a plakat. Hes my first plakat.