Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 
Moby

water changes

I have a 2.5 gallon heated tank with a filter and 1 male betta. how often should i do water changes, and what percentage of the tank? Thanks,
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

2 water changes per week- 1 100% and 1 50%.
That is assuming its not cycled/cycling :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Since you have a filter-I would recommend twice weekly water changes of 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by either vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots or stir and dip method.

Filter media-needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

You can establish the nitrogen cycle in smaller tanks, however, due to the self limiting factors of the beneficial bacteria-often you don't have enough surface area to colonize enough bacteria for a stable cycle and twice weekly water changes are still needed regardless of cycling stage to maintain water quality.

If you have live active growing plants-depending on number, species and growth state-you could safely decrease water changes to 1-50% weekly with vacuum or stir and dip.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote