Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #101 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
I don't know where you're from but why don't you study the US before making assumptions. For one we are NOT a democracy, never were, we are and always have been a republic. You should know most studies are completely asanine and are only based off of a few fools that actually participate in them. Most Americans know the government is full of it, and simply do not care where a puppy is from. We are consumers and capitalists and only care about the ends not the means.

And the grim truth the world does not want to hear is without us to supply them with customers the world economy would go to heck in handbasket. Also that we've done more in 200 years than most coutries have done in a thousand. Yet the world thinks we're stupid, isn't that the proverbial pot.......no offense.

Also to the original poster; fiddler crabs can live in freshwater as they are brackish, which means they live in tidel areas where there usually both present. While they prefer salt water, they can live just fine in fresh. My niece still has her crab and he is doing amazingly well, hence why I say the myth is the myth.
So sad first brackish is the middle between salt and fresh next you will say all pet fiddlers crabs are captive bred second Americas in debt overweight low education standards and denies ever committing genocide.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #102 
harleraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
No they are genetically modified. They have supersonic hearing and can hear the faintest noise from miles away. They also can kill an adult human being with one strike, but normally choose not to. The way they do this is from incredibly strong laser beams that they shoot from their eyes, and they have incredible aim. They can also give off very strong radioactive gamma rays, so don't stand with your head too close to the tank for too long...
ROFL! Nice one! That is the REAL reason bettas do not always do well in community tanks. :P
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #103 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleraven View Post
ROFL! Nice one! That is the REAL reason bettas do not always do well in community tanks. :P
Thank you
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #104 
Koda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
So sad first brackish is the middle between salt and fresh next you will say all pet fiddlers crabs are captive bred second Americas in debt overweight low education standards and denies ever committing genocide.
I agree about the fiddlers and brackish water, the rest of your statement bothers me a bit. As brackish is in between fresh and salt, the crab will be able to tolerate both water types, but will only thrive in brackish, much like a betta can LIVE in a 1 gallon tank, but it won't be completely happy or healthy with less than 2.5-5g.

As for the rest, there is bases for the overweight and denial of genocide.
The US ranks as the 6th most obese country with 33.9% of its adult population being as such. This number is taken from the cia's website ranking the world's countries.

I would say there is a lack of admittance to genocide among some Americans, but this comes from a more personal experience. In public school the treatment of the Native Americans and "genocide," were never mentioned in the same sentence. According to our education, their treatment was awful, many died and most were pushed from the lands they knew to live in harsh environments which often lead to even more deaths. But was that genocide? That topic had never come up. The only event in history that my schools had called "genocide" was the Holocaust. (even the Armenians were never mentioned, and I learned of Rawanda from the media/movies).

Education may be a bit different now, and they may officially call it genocide, but it wasn't all that long ago that I was in high school, so there would still be a huge population of people that are unable to make that connection.

I could probably write a whole research paper on this, but I'll stop here as I've probably bored you all already. I have a BA in history so these subjects are a little...touchy with me. Also, I do not mean to offend, only educate :)

Anyways......why don't we all get back to the original topic? Have pit bulls been mentioned yet?
Myth: All pit bulls are violent man-eaters.
Fact: It has not been proven that any one breed would be more likely to bite than any others. Aggression is a part of personality, not a genetic component so it is a learned trait. Also the prejudice towards pits is fairly recent, only emerging thanks to those who breed and train them to fight. Before, breeds like the German Shepard, Rottweiler, and Doberman held the same myth. While 2 of those still have a pretty bad reputation, the German Shepard is now given more respect thanks to their service with the police.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #105 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Americas in debt overweight low education standards and denies ever committing genocide.
Okay I wasn't going to comment on this before but now I feel like its getting ridiculous. Were not bashing people in other countries and throwing stereotypes out the ying yang. Can you have the same maturity?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #106 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Anyways......why don't we all get back to the original topic? Have pit bulls been mentioned yet?
Myth: All pit bulls are violent man-eaters.
Fact: It has not been proven that any one breed would be more likely to bite than any others. Aggression is a part of personality, not a genetic component so it is a learned trait. Also the prejudice towards pits is fairly recent, only emerging thanks to those who breed and train them to fight. Before, breeds like the German Shepard, Rottweiler, and Doberman held the same myth. While 2 of those still have a pretty bad reputation, the German Shepard is now given more respect thanks to their service with the police.
+1. There are very rare cases where DOG- notice I said DOG (not human) agression can be genetic, when they come straight from long lines of fighting. Since it is not as popular as it was long ago, it has been bred out of them and you only have a chance of getting a genetically DOG agressive pit bull if it came from agressive parents. But agression is typically lack of socialization- or trained agression.
There are lots of myths on pit bulls, like for example- "Their jaws lock"
http://www.badrap.org/monster-myths

Pitties are known for their silly personalities and used to be known as America's Family Dog- which they are still known for in the many responsible owners handling them today.
I figured since were on the topic i would thow some pictures of my babies out there!
The white one is 14 years old, and hes partially blind so thats why his eye looks weird :( and no, I do not believe in ear cropping, my dad is the one that had it done on the young one

Oh and for some cuteness factor, this is DeeOhJee when he was a baby

I DO like these michael vick chew toys.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 09-09-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #107 
Koda

@teeney
Your babies are gorgeous! Right now I'm only a recent college grad and have yet to find a suitable job, so I still have my part time job as a kennel attendant at a vet clinic/boarding kennel. The pits that come in are usually some of my and my co-workers' favorites. They're such big sweethearts. :) It actually makes me laugh and roll my eyes when I see someone edge away or give them dirty looks when we are out walking them. Their predjuduce is only making them miss out on a fantastic dog. Although, sometimes I have to admit that I'm grateful for their bad rep, it's saved us from dealing with creepers while walking dogs several times, haha.

Also I love those Michael Vick toys....I only wish they had a plush version, my own dogs won't touch rubber toys, plus it would be so much more satisfying when they start to really tear it up....stuffing guts everywhere hehe.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #108 
Opioid Slumber

This isn't a myth, it's a solid fact, but I thought I'd put up a couple of pictures because pit bulls are the current topic. Pits actually used to be used as babysitters by busy parents less than 100 years ago. They knew just how loyal and trustworthy these dogs are. They would watch the kids and help take care of them, as well as giving them a wonderful companion to play with throughout their childhood. People back then didn't have any qualms about leaving their kids alone with the dogs because they didn't have a false stigma surrounding them. I've owned several pits throughout my life, and every one of them were great pets, extremely friendly, loving and playful. Only uneducated and misinformed people actually believe that pit bulls are naturally aggressive and will murder your entire family with a butcher knife and nylon rope while you're sleeping. (Hahaha, I'm just being silly about the knife and rope! I know they don't have opposable thumbs! )

Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #109 
teeneythebetta

Funny right as I was reading this, my 2 year old brother started histerically laughing because my dog was licking his face.

Gross but heartwarming :)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #110 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am the only person in my family who likes pit bull the rest like Labs but fiddlers only live a few weeks in freshwater another myth luck bamboo is an aquatic plant and another myth lucky bamboo can not grow in soil. But the most aggressive dogs I ever met were chihuahua the sweetest were pit bulls. And piranhas are extremely dangerous wrong they will only attack a large animal like humans if it is drowning or caught on a line/dead but I am talking about meat eating ones not Pacu in fact the red bellied piranha schools to avoid predators like freshwater dolphins.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote