Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Flutter is floating sideways :( (velvet too)

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon (moving to a 5 gallon to be shared once everyone is better)
What temperature is your tank? 75-78 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms, just recently daphnia for a mild bloat. Also betta pellets on occasion.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day or so.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day as of late.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? de-chlorinator.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not really.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really :/
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Right now.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not sure what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Well he's a tail biter. Some mild bloat occasionally. Maybe velvet or ick. Been treating him with Coppersafe the last 4 days or so. Not really able to tell if he has either velvet or ick but one of my others does.
How old is your fish (approximately)? less than a year?

So he swims around the top of the tank. He seems unable to swim lower than the surface no matter how hard he tries. He slowly floats to where he is sideways. like he is fully laying on the top of the water. I am very concerned about him and don't want him to die :/

(Also another of my fish is acting weird. He does have velvet and I've been treating him (under same conditions and meds as the original fish). He has been hiding in his cave all the time for the last couple days. Before he ALWAYS greeted me and swam around begging for food. Could something be wrong?)
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #2 
AltheaGlyndwr

Okay, so this si really starting to scare me. I just checked him again and closely this time and noticed he is bloated. his pecs are moving so fast when he manages to stay upright that the look like they are just flash moving. He has to fight really hard to right himself when he goes sideways.

What is weird though, is over the last day and a half is he has made a giant bubble nest. Don't they only do that when they are happy? He doesn't seem happy to me. :/ I look at him and it's like I can feel his upset as well as frantic movement.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 
registereduser

I'm no expert but here's what I would do:

Raise temperature up to 80, feed him a few pellets every day and stop the treat food for now. Give him some epsom salt in his gallon of water, I'm not sure how much. If you have aquarium salt it should be a teaspoon full.

Otherwise I'm BUMPING for more help
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #4 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thank you! Sorry yesterday was chaotic so I just got this message. He appears to have gotten a bit better and is no longer bloated. Just so that everyone who comes by knows, I usually feed him blood worms with occasional pellet days. He and my other bettas respond better to them and they have a good amount of crude protien and are closer to what they'd eat in the wild :) (also use the brine shrimp for crude protien as well)

Anyway, I have fasted him since I last posted and am going to feed him some frozen daphnia to help keep him unbloated. I was looking through the diseases area and it seems he has had an episode of Swim bladder disease. He is showing off for me presently (fluttering back and forth and up and down like normal) so I am pretty sure he's feeling a bit better. I probably just overfed him the last time I gave him food. That seems to be the main reason why they have the effect of being unabel to swim right :) That or genetics, but seeing as up until just recently he was always fine I've ruled out that one. Thanks! :D