Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #131 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Bigger tank doesn't technically mean "more exercise" my fish in the 2.5 swims around just as much as the one in the 10g. It just happens he has a little less room to do it in.
Consider this, I can run around a quarter mile long track for an hour OR do little laps around a room in my house for the same amount of time. Technically I'm getting the same amount of exercise.
All a bigger tank means is more space to explore, which gives the betta something to do other than something potentially dangerous, like say tail biting. But for some all that space could be stressful (kind of like a person who is afraid of going outdoors).
Also chemicals do not build up as fast in a bigger tank with plenty of hiding spots there is no reason a Betta would not like a 10 or 20 next you will say goldfish like 10 gallon tanks. To be clear common goldfish 50 gallon fancy goldfish 20 gallon. and am not scared of the outside just bugs spiders dead fish and the dark.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #132 
Koda

Anyways, this argument can go on forever....how bout another change. This is the "finless friends" forum after all so how about.....
Myth: Cats always land on their feet
Fact: Yes they are agile and athletic and are capable of twisting around to land properly, but just like any other living creature can only do so under the right conditions. If the cat has been shocked, sick, disoriented, or injured it may not be able to correct itself before landing.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #133 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I would not put any goldfish in a 20 gallon.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #134 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I would not put any goldfish in a 20 gallon.
A fancy like telescope needs 20 comet or common goldfish needs 50 gallon. An why not but defiantly not common that get a foot. But it is a fact bigger tank are easier to clean.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #135 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Also chemicals do not build up as fast in a bigger tank with plenty of hiding spots there is no reason a Betta would not like a 10 or 20 next you will say goldfish like 10 gallon tanks. To be clear common goldfish 50 gallon fancy goldfish 20 gallon. and am not scared of the outside just bugs spiders dead fish and the dark.
I agree with you on that bigger is typically better.
But there are people here who have had their betta in a 1 gallon tank, then upgraded them to say, a 5 gallon tank, and the betta acted lethargic and quit eating until moved back to the 1 gal tank.
People that spend money getting a better tank wouldn't just not use it for no reason. This actually happens.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #136 
purplemuffin

No one is denying it, but it is more water. If you don't have a large enough bucket to carry the amount of water needed for the water change it is a lot of trips back and forth and a lot of weight to carry if you do have the right sized bucket.

It's better for the fish to have clean water and room to swim and nice warm temperatures. Chemicals do build up faster in smaller tanks. Sometimes the owners may end up finding their own perfect middle ground for their betta--a tank size they can easily change(in order to change the water quickly before ammonia builds up) and a tank size that gives the betta all the room it needs. For some people, that is a 2.5. For others that's a 5. Some people that's a 10.

If the owner of the betta was not able to change a 10 gallon often and dreaded it enough that they began to put it off, the betta would suffer, because even in the large tank ammonia will end up building up and spiking. If that owner is able to keep a 2.5 gallon tank warm and clean and free of ammonia, well at least the fish does less suffering.

But for other people a 2.5 gallon tank will build up ammonia too quickly and they won't be able to keep up with the water changes. They don't mind changing lots of water as long as they have that extra buffer time to keep their fish healthy. A 5 or 10 gallon will likely be better for them.

If everyone could give their bettas a 5 or 10 gallon tank and could take care of them properly, that would be the best. But people are going to have different needs just like their fish. Some people just won't be able to care for a betta no matter what tank it's in because they just can't find the time in their life to clean it. We've all heard of those tanks that hadn't been changed in years and somehow had fish clinging to life in there. But some people might be able to find a perfect balance to keep the maintenance easy enough that they can keep their fish's needs fulfilled. And like I said, a balance. That doesn't mean that people should put their fish in .2 gallon tanks, but it means that maybe a slightly smaller 2.5 gallon tank would be better for their fish because their fish would end up seeing less ammonia.

Whatever leads to the healthiest fish. A large tank can lead to unhealthy fish, when the owner believes that them being in such a large tank means that they don't need any water changes anymore, or only changes them every 3 months or so.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #137 
Mo

IMO they both need bunch larger. Both are active and social so should be kept in larger tanks.. IMO the minimum for a fancy is 30-40 gallons and the minimum for a comment is 75-100 gallons
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #138 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's an active fish that is 6" long (telescopes). But, a fancy such as an oranda can still hit 12" no problem. Would you put a foot long fish in a 20 gallon? People don't realize but fancies can get just as big as regular goldfish.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #139 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda View Post
bigger tank doesn't technically mean "more exercise" my fish in the 2.5 swims around just as much as the one in the 10g. It just happens he has a little less room to do it in.
Consider this, i can run around a quarter mile long track for an hour or do little laps around a room in my house for the same amount of time. Technically i'm getting the same amount of exercise.
All a bigger tank means is more space to explore, which gives the betta something to do other than something potentially dangerous, like say tail biting. But for some all that space could be stressful (kind of like a person who is afraid of going outdoors).
+1 thank you
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #140 
finnfinnfriend

This is why 5 gallons is my favorite size for 1 betta. Only one water change per week and only one trip with the bucket :).

I must also say that for smaller than 5 gallon tanks, the water changes, although a little more often, are easier because it is less water and therefore less weight to lug around.

I would totally have a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank and feel great about it. 2.5 gallons is a great size for a betta fish.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote