Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1 
Ebrequus

Dead Oto...Scared for my Betta.

So...I had three otos...now two... in my betta tank to help clean. I've had them for about a month and they've been happy and healthy. Last night I noticed that one of them had a very swollen belly and its scales looked a little weird...sorta poking out. Aren't they supposed to be scaleless? Well, I could see them and feel them when I took him out. He was dead this morning. I'm suspecting dropsy. What do you think?

I'm also concerned that the flourish I started using had something to do with it. I admit that I'm using more than I should. Other than that, the water perameters are perfect and I've had no other problems.

Any ideas?
Ebrequus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #2 
MSG

Sounds like dropsy

• Scaleless would be loaches.
  • Are you feeding the oto cats? If you're not supplementing their food with some slices of "blanched" veggies they'll slowly starve themselves to death.
  • Don't think SC Flourish had anything to do with it.

As for you other concerns, unless we know all the specifics of your tank, no one is going to be able to give you a proper answer.

Photo of the entire tank so we can see how it's arranged would be helpful as well.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 
BettaQi

Yea algae tabs are important for feeding bottom feeders too.

My mom inadvertently starved her algae eater bc there wasn't enough algae. Poor thing tried to eat the green sponge stuff in the potted aquarium plant.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote