Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I use a digital thermometer I found in the housewares dept at wal mart for under $5-6.00 and it works great for adjusting the water temp. Using your hand isn't always the best method since our body temp is 98.8F normally-plus if you either just washed your hand or normally have cold hands-because we animal lovers have warm hearts....lol......it can give a false sense of temp....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #12 
MSG

• Thank G, I was hoping someone would say it's okay to use the hot water from the tap as long as the water is running a little bit.
For anyone who's worried about matching the temperature of the old & new water... just get a digital thermometer.
  • The ones I'm using to check my water temperatures are designed to be used in the kitchen. Mainly for baking and so forth.
  • Dropping the d-therms in the water is BAD. but everyone should be aware of this.
  • With a digital thermometer you can get a pretty accurate reading in about 1-2 seconds depending on the model.
Standard ones take 4-8 seconds & they can be miscalibrated over excessive use or being tossed around.
  • If you have the time or clumsy, I would recommend using an old cooking thermometer that's sitting around unused in the cabinet.
  • I've dropped c-therms in water plenty of times & they're somewhat water resistant. Don't shake them, dry them off with a towel/dish rag.
You all have 1 month or so before you will need to be doing this.

* WOW, didn't know they sold them for $6 @ W Mart. It's been YEARS since I've stepped foot inside one.

The ones I have start off @ $15 & up.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I just got another one that is for aquariums off eBay for under $3.00 with free S/H and battery included.......it has a base with a probe on the end so you can monitor temp in the bottom of the tank. Before I got this one I placed my digital in a zip lock to get temp at the bottom...

This one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270564958849...84.m1497.l2649
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #14 
Leafygreens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I just got another one that is for aquariums off eBay for under $3.00 with free S/H and battery included.......it has a base with a probe on the end so you can monitor temp in the bottom of the tank. Before I got this one I placed my digital in a zip lock to get temp at the bottom...

This one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270564958849...84.m1497.l2649
I have two of these and can vouch for them being very accurate (and quick to read out changing temperatures, as well, which is helpful when trying to get water from the faucet at the right temp).
Leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #15 
MSG

Oh yeah, that's what killed most of my non-betta fish the previous winter. Top of the tank was warm, but the bottom was ice cold.

I have 3 therms that look EXACTLY like the one in the EB link, but they're designed for reptile tanks & I think the previous owner water damaged them.

I'll probably do a bulk order with some of the reef guys.

Thanks OFL, never thought about mounting a therm on the bottom of the tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #16 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Ditto.
Double ditto
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #17 
lelei

Lukewarm temps work fine, a mix of cold and hot water, right from the kitchen sink, or the bathroom, stick a thermometer in..and it usually is at 77/78 I add to tank, let sit for another 15 minutes, and check again, add fish..slowly adjust..and all set..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Ditto.
triple ditto
using the same hand I dip into the original tank water and then the new water. it's pretty accurate.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #19 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
You get the feel for it. I can adjust now so it is almost exactly 80 when I fill the tank.
Cool...I hope I get that good lol. I know I will..
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #20 
ballyhoo

I use the blue jugs from water coolers, fill them up all at once, cap it and let it sit in the closet until I need it.
ballyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote