Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #21 
tn102

Got him into the quarentine tank with the salt in it. He is keeping his top fin up now, he started to after a few hours. How do I know when it's gone? And will his fins go back to normal?
tn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #22 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn102 View Post
Got him into the quarentine tank with the salt in it. He is keeping his top fin up now, he started to after a few hours. How do I know when it's gone? And will his fins go back to normal?
It is my understanding that the dark color will slowly just wash away. Keep in mind that salt treatment should not exceed 10 days even if it's not fully healed after the time period. I believe it will take longer but clean water and time will heal after that. The time it takes will vary on what they're treated with, how severe it is, etc. but I can't really tell you an exact time frame.

I looked it up and some others have found it takes only a few days to see new growth on the fins (it's clear on the edges) but I'm not sure how long it takes to fully heal.

I hope he heals up quickly!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #23 
tn102

He is looking much better. His tail fin is mostly healed, the dark color is now just a little bit of the tips. The top fin is getting better, it has like a strand hanging off still, but the color is going back to normal. The bottom is better too.

As for food he won't eat the flakes. It's like he doesn't even know I put them in there. He just keeps swimming around like I haven't feed him, then they all float to the bottom. When I give him the pellets he goes for them, but they seem to big and he can't eat them, and he ends up spitting them out. I haven't tried to add anything to the flakes yet, as I haven't been able to find it.

I'm thinking I might have to cut short his treatment as I have to be away all day Saturday (not by choice) and will probably not be able to change his water. That means Friday morning I'll have to clean the entire big tank and add fresh water, and put him in it before I go to work at night. Should I add some salt and the stress coat to that when I do? I'm gonna see if i can hold out and be able to change his water, but it seems I am most likely not able to.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #24 
tn102

No option to edit?

Anyways, I just gave him a little bit of the freeze dried bloodworms (2nd time since I got him), and he ate them. He did not spit them out. But from what I've read they are only suppose to be used as a treat. That correct?

Last edited by tn102; 09-12-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #25 
teeneythebetta

If he won't eat the pellets, you can crush them into super small pieces.

I would put him in the salt and stress coat for the day you're gone if you can change his water Friday night or Saturday morning and then clean it again Sunday morning. That should be okay :)

Yes, freeze dries bloodworms are a treat and should only be fed at maximum 2 times a week.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #26 
tn102

He is in worse condition than what I thought. His anal fin is pretty damaged (found a picture that has them labeled.
Also when I switchef him just this morning, he lost a pectoral fin :'( He still has the little nub where it should be, and when he moves the other one, the nub moves as well.
I'm a horrible fish keeper. He looks so happy when he sees me, and all I've done is hurt him. I think I'll take him back to the store, hopefully they can get him in better health and give them to someone who knows what they are doing. I don't want to give up, but I just would rather see him healthy then suffering like he is now.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #27 
tn102

Nevermind about him loosing that fin. Seems he was hiding it? It literaly wasn't there just after I switched him, and he had the other moving. In the time it took me to post that, he either grew a new one, or just brought it out. Could it have gotten stuck on anything. I mean I watched him for a few minutes and it was gone.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #28 
teeneythebetta

Im sorry to hear that. but im going to bbe honest with you, the store will not take care of it, they will put him in a cold dirty cup until the fin rot kills him. i will try to message sakura8, shes good at illnesses and might be able to tell you anything else you could do. i will message her later, its hard for me to send pm using my phone
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #29 
tn102

The store I got him from kept him with other fish. I'll keep trying a bit more to heal him up, as he does have that fin I though he completely lost. It scared me as I thought he was only getting worse. I really don't want to get rid of him, but i'd rather have him healthy and happy instead of being sick.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #30 
Pogthefish

If you DO want to get rid of him and you feel comfortable mailing fish, I can take any fish anyone wants to get rid of :) First, I suggest you try to treat him, though.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote