Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Pecking order isn't the only consideration that needs to be taken into account. A larger group prevents individuals from being singled out, and feuds are less likely. If there are only two other fish in the tank, one fish could start ganging up on another constantly. When there are more fish in the tank, it's harder to focus on stalking individuals because there's more movement from other fish and their paths to complicate things. I have often seen one fish inadvertently end a chase by swimming in between a pursuer and a fish being chased.
I agree with you on that more is always better for a pecking order you know chickens have pecking orders.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

*sigh* Can we focus on the OP's post, please? I agree that 4 is the minimum as if there were only 3 Bettas, 2 will form an alliance and bully the other one. 3 is very hard to take care and for experienced owners, thank you.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I would never recommend three as you have said Lebron eventually someone is likely to get singled out by the stronger more dominant two.

I think five to six in a well-planted 10 gallon tank is ideal for someone keeping a sorority for the first time. There are enough females that the aggression is going to be much more evenly distributed, and each female will have enough space to form a small territory and get away from the others.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah I would never recommend three as you have said Lebron eventually someone is likely to get singled out by the stronger more dominant two.

I think five to six in a well-planted 10 gallon tank is ideal for someone keeping a sorority for the first time. There are enough females that the aggression is going to be much more evenly distributed, and each female will have enough space to form a small territory and get away from the others.
I personally feel a 20 is better by 10 will work.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Yep. :) Bigger is better for sororities but it's the owner's choice on the tank size.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Yep. :) Bigger is better for sororities but it's the owner's choice on the tank size.
Yeah but it is possible to make a sorioty improperly.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

A 10 gallon tank is more than enough to house a sorority in.

I have had my sorority tank for nearly two years now and apart from 1-2 females that couldn't adapt to living in that sort of environment, I have had no real issues.

A 10 gallon that has a decent amount of cover, is cycled, and has 5-6 younger females in it (spawn sisters are great if you can get your hands on some) is ideal for a first sorority. Yes a 15 or 20 gallon tank is better, but not everyone has the space or funds available for one.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #18 
registereduser

I put 3 Petco females in a 20 gallon and there was one full on wrestling match and some chasing the first day and then they were fine. Then I bought 6 more from a breeder thru the mail and added them to the original 3 all at once, and to this day everyone is fine. I was shocked, I was expecting WW3

The 2 smallest are kind of loners but as they grow I see them asserting themselves a bit more and coming out of hiding more often.

I was prepared to remove one or more if problems arose but it never happened and I am greatly relieved. There is nothing like a tank of pretty colored girls

<<<<Mercedes in my avi is one of them. The spots are dirty glass, not ick!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
A 10 gallon tank is more than enough to house a sorority in.

I have had my sorority tank for nearly two years now and apart from 1-2 females that couldn't adapt to living in that sort of environment, I have had no real issues.

A 10 gallon that has a decent amount of cover, is cycled, and has 5-6 younger females in it (spawn sisters are great if you can get your hands on some) is ideal for a first sorority. Yes a 15 or 20 gallon tank is better, but not everyone has the space or funds available for one.
I meant a 10 is sorioty minimum like hiding spots and establishment.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I know this is a bit off topic but how did you get under aquariums an aquarium profile been trying to figure that out is this the proper way to ask that topic?