Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 
Rachel02

Betta looks swollen

BACKGROUND: This is my sister's fish, I have taken over his care since he is very sick at the moment. She kept him in a 1.75 gallon tank, temp in the mid-70's with a heater, went at least two weeks between water changes (100% change each time), and normally fed him pellets. We have never tested our water but out of our three fish this is the only one that has gotten sick and we all use the same tap water.

So, she just noticed the other day that he looks swollen and pale. I took him from her, changed his water, and added maracide because I thought I saw ich spots on him. It's been about two days and he isn't eating. I'm continuing to treat the water but I don't know what exactly is wrong with him.

If you look at him, it seems like the left side of his body is swollen, and it makes him list to that side when he swims.

First pic:

http://flic.kr/p/d7DAU3

Second pic:

http://flic.kr/p/d7DAHA

I wasn't sure how to put pics directly into the post.
Rachel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I want to point out problems with the tank to see which one is responsible possible fin rot plastic plants not good the water is brown the tank is too small 2.5 gallon is the absulate minimum 5 gallons is better lack of exercise might have something to do with it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 
MSG

I think you have a double tail betta with major ammonia burn & fin rot issues

He looks relatively old, how long have you owned him?

Also from your photos, he only has 1 pectoral fin? The other one is mini sized?

• I think from the once every 14 day water changes, he's suffering from severe ammonia burn & major fin rot.
  • I wouldn't give him the medication unless you're 100% sure he's sick with parasites.

From the Maracide website.... it says it treats Ick, Velvet and other related freshwater parasites

I haven't seen a fish with such a bad case like this, so I don't want to give you wrong advice.

• Just make sure to change his water 100% day and hopefully you'll see some improvement. I think you should also add some AQ salt to stop the rot from progressing any further.
  • What brand & model heater do you have?
  • What size is the container you're keeping him in right now?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The fin rot is a big problem.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 
Rachel02

The fish is over a year old. The water looked that way because of the medicine, I had just cleaned it out and put fresh water in three days before the photo, when I took him in. I also changed his water yesterday.

I am still keeping him in the 1.75 gallon tank. The heater is one of those small flat round ones that sits on the bottom beneath the gravel.

I have some tetracycline, if you're saying it's fin rot, should I stop the maracide and give him tetra instead?

I do see spots on him near his "caudal peduncle" that look white, I assumed that was a parasite of some kind or possibly a lesion. I'm sorry the photos couldn't have been better.

He has two pectoral fins. The other one he wasn't using at the time I guess, he is still swimming a little tilted. He does use them both.

What is strange is that she has another fish who is receiving exactly the same care, over two weeks between water changes as well as similar plastic plants in the tank,same tank size, and he has never gotten sick. That's why I wondered if if was parasites.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #6 
Rachel02

okay, disregard where I said the spot was, it's actually on his side.

http://flic.kr/p/d86Ngu

It actually looks like some little thing sticking out of him, that's why I think it's a parasite.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

Compaing two fish who live in the same scenario won't lead you to a conclusion. Everything depends on the fish itself and the everyday specific cre you give your fish. One tank can have higher ammonia than the other and you wouldn't even know.

Both fish however are not thriving in those situations. I'm honestly surprised they've survived so long in my opiion.

But to the condition, I think the swelling also looks like bloat, correct me if I'm wrong. Unless he's pineconing, that's what I'd assume.

I can't help you about the spot.

But what you should do right now is completely clean the tank. Rinse off all the decorations with hot water. Also, if you can, test your water before and after.

If he's not having his home cleaned enough, it's easy for him to get sick.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #8 
Rachel02

Okay, one major update: he ate today :D

I am combining aquarium salt and a small amount of tetracycline to treat him. His fins still look pretty ragged but hopefully I am doing something right and he is getting better.

I still have a few questions:

1. Should I move him into a bigger tank yet, or would that be too much stress right now?

2. How much should I try feeding him every day? He eats pellets. Would one in the morning and one in the evening be a good amount? I've never used pellets before. My other fish eats flakes.

3. One person mentioned plastic plants not being good. Should I try a silk plant?

Thanks to everyone who is helping me. Hopefully I can get him back to being healthy again...
Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 
MSG

That white spot does possibly look like a parasite or something is burrowing out of the fish. Not something I'm familiar with.

What does that white patchy area look like now.

1. 1. Depends on what you're keeping him in now. A photo of the tank/cup whatever it is, would be helpful.
  2. 2. Since he's in a smaller container & not moving much. I think 2 pellets should be plenty. Do you actually have the pellets already? If so what brand?
  3. 3. Totally depends on your tank & the plant. All silk is not made the same. Also applies to the plastic plants.
  • Do you have a tank or a giant wine glass? That's the only 1.75G thing I've seen out there.
  • His fins are going to look ragged like that for a WHILE, it will be a few days before you will notice signs of improvement if his fins have been neglected for that long.
  • What is the amount of salt & medication you're using to ratio of water?
  • What is the temperature of the tank you're using?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 
Rachel02

Okay, I hate to spam the thread, but I forgot something important. Back in the end of August, my sister put a shell from the ocean in the tank. I don't know how long it was in there, maybe a day or two? Anyway, I told her to pull it out. Then a few days later she noticed he wasn't eating. The day or two after that she noticed he was swollen and looking awful. Pretty obvious that she should NOT have done that, but was that shell in the tank what harmed him?

Also:

I am using 1 tsp of aquarium salt, since the container says to use 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. I am only sprinkling in a little tetracycline since that says one package is for ten gallons, and the package is about the size of two sugar packets.

The tank is basically a plastic rectangular tank with a plastic vented lid that snaps on it. They also come in 3 gallon sizes, which is what I have my other fish in. I can't find my phone to take a photo of it. The temp is in the mid-70's, about 75 or 76.

Tags
lumps, sick betta, swollen