Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #11 
Katibre

[quote=teeneythebetta;1234489]50 watts is fine for a 5.5 gal tank if it is adjustable.
I used an adjustable 50 watt heater in my 2.5 gal quarantine tank and it worked great.

Thanks I just hope my heater still works if it doesn't what brand do you suggest?
Posted via Mobile Device
Katibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #12 
Katibre

Quick ques I heard java moss is great for water quality would it survive in low light my tank is in the basement with minimal light coming in a covered window
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #13 
marktrc

You need some type of live food to feed the fry. They most likely wont eat frozen foods.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #14 
Katibre

Also thinking about getting a hood with a florescent bulb for a 5.5 gal any ideas?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #15 
Katibre

I think I'm going to go a different route and find a larger tank with hood, filter and heater I found a 46 gal bow front for $60. Or should I find a breeder tank that is longer?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #16 
Katibre

I was wondering to save money can I put a sponge in the intake tube instead of buying a sponge filter?
I appreciate all your help :)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not familiar with the gadgets you asked about. But in general I prefer (for breeding) shallow and wide compared to slim and deep - though they can be bred in deep waters. IMO you can postpone water changes in shallow waters (just in case) because more oxygen gets diluted compared to deep waters.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #18 
Katibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I'm not familiar with the gadgets you asked about. But in general I prefer (for breeding) shallow and wide compared to slim and deep - though they can be bred in deep waters. IMO you can postpone water changes in shallow waters (just in case) because more oxygen gets diluted compared to deep waters.
I have a whisper power filter, I want to cut up a sponge and put it in my filter, so not to suck up the fry. I'd rather save the money if I can. It would be nice not to have to purchase a sponge filter and airline tubing and pump if i can use the filter I have already.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You don't really need a filter/pump. That's optional - though it helps dilute oxygen..... I don't use pumps until my fry are 1cm+. Just do regular water changes and they'll do fine.

I live in the tropics, so I don't use heaters, pumps, IAL, half styrofoam cups. Sometimes I don't even use plants and keep everything bare (big/long tanks). Learn as many methods as possible then tweak it to your condition. You need to find what best works for you.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #20 
Katibre

the 50 watt heater rose above 80 when it was set to 80 degrees so I put the other heater back in. It will just have to be what the preset heater will do.