Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #1 
xShainax

Keeping betta's in heated 1 gallon tanks

I want someone to tell me whats so wrong about keeping betta's in a one gallon heated tank with regular maintenance.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-09-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Inappropriate
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 
kevinbacon

I honestly believe that with regular water maintenance, and ensuring that the tank isn't over planted or overcrowded, there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a betta in a one gallon tank. The recommended size of the tank usually deals with bioload, so as long as your ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites don't get to high, your fish will still live a high quality life in a one gallon tank.
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 
Thomasdog

I honestly don't see a problem in 1gallon tanks. Sure, there are better, but I really don't see harm. Look at Thailand breeding farms. Those bettas can't possibly have more than 1 gallon or so, and look at how happy they are.
Just a side note; I just moved my older male from my 20g to a 1g, and he promply blew a HUGE bubble nest, something he never did in his 20. Silly Moonie <3
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #4 
xShainax

I clean them twice a week and my betta's are happy. Seriously, anything under a gallon I think is too small.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #5 
registereduser

Depends on the betta. My extremely active Phillip loves to race up and down his bookshelf 6.6 gallon and I just couldn't stand to keep him in 1 gallon.

Irving is my slow moving heavily finned boy and could probably live in a 1 gallon quite happily. I have him in a 5 gallon.

Besides, it's more fun to plant and decorate a larger tank.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Depends on the betta. My extremely active Phillip loves to race up and down his bookshelf 6.6 gallon and I just couldn't stand to keep him in 1 gallon.

Irving is my slow moving heavily finned boy and could probably live in a 1 gallon quite happily. I have him in a 5 gallon.

Besides, it's more fun to plant and decorate a larger tank.
Lol, My boy Wingergreen LOVES his 6.6. But alas, I am dividing it. I have one that has tail biting issues and he stopped when I moved him into a one gallon. He loves it and loves to flare at himself in the reflection
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Lol, My boy Wingergreen LOVES his 6.6. But alas, I am dividing it. I have one that has tail biting issues and he stopped when I moved him into a one gallon. He loves it and loves to flare at himself in the reflection
Phillip was too stressed out in a 20 and too cramped in the traditional 5 gallon. The 6.6 is perfect for him.

and it was juuuust right
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Phillip was too stressed out in a 20 and too cramped in the traditional 5 gallon. The 6.6 is perfect for him.

and it was juuuust right
Betta's are weird creatures
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #9 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Attention

Anyone who ever posts in a forum on this site again, asking a user to not post in the thread will be banned permanently.

This is absolutely unacceptable and will not be tolerated on here.

Last edited by Tazman; 09-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You tell'em, Tazman. I couldn't agree with you more.

Back to the thread.

It depends on how fussy you are about your fish's water quality. If you change a 1g twice a week, what is the ammonia reading just before you change it? Probably not 0.0ppm.

The idea behind a cycled tank is to have 0.0ppm ammonia all the time.

MSG has a cycle 1.5g. I and a few others have 2.5g cycled. If you could cycle your 1g, and there's no reason why you couldn't.......
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote