Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #1 
mkayum

Black neon tetra?

I may consider them as an addition to my 2o gallon tank. They look gorgeous but I'm not sure about their care. I could get five of them because Petco are having sale on those fish.

Are their care same as neon tetra? Easy? Had experience with this fish?

Any advice will be appreciated !
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah you feed them and they school any tank mates that would affect it what do you think the PH.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 
mkayum

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayum View Post
Anyone?
Why did you type that in? But a well cared for Black Tetra can live 10 years 5 is is the good schooling minimum need 20 gallon tank are middle schooling. They prefer soft water. What kind of tank mates do you have?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 
DragonFish

I'm no expert, but from what I understand they are about the same care-wise as regular Neons/most tetra species. They're schooling fish(5 is a good number, but if you have room for a couple more thats even better) though I don't think will school with any other Neons, normal tropical fish flakes/small tropical fish pellets/frozen foods every once in a while diet-wise....I can't recall anything extra special about them off the top of my head, lol.

Whats in your tank at the moment?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Black neons are gorgeous little fish. I'd like to have some in my tanks one day. They are a schooling fish and need groups of 6 or more. Personally, I don't keep schooling fish in groups any less than 10 because they school in groups by the thousands in the wild. And they simply look better maintained that way. As for water, they need a pH under 7 and fairly soft water. You can read more about these gorgeous little guys here: TFK profile for Black Neon Tetras (sister site to BF and maintained by the same mods)

What other fish do you have in your 20 gal?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #7 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Black neons are gorgeous little fish. I'd like to have some in my tanks one day. They are a schooling fish and need groups of 6 or more. Personally, I don't keep schooling fish in groups any less than 10 because they school in groups by the thousands in the wild. And they simply look better maintained that way. As for water, they need a pH under 7 and fairly soft water. You can read more about these gorgeous little guys here: TFK profile for Black Neon Tetras (sister site to BF and maintained by the same mods)

What other fish do you have in your 20 gal?

Thank you! That's quite helpful site! I may consider it in the future. c:

I just got 4 white cloud minnows and a couple of Zebra danios! They are shoaling together with my male WC minnow. He look so much happier!

The fish/invents I have in 20 gallon tank...

7x kuhili loaches
2x Dwarf Gourami
6or less x ghost shrimps
2x nerite snails
2x apple snails
5x white cloud minnow (four new minnows)
1x bamboo shrimp
2x zebra danio (new addition)

I would upload few photos of my 20 gallon tank if you wanna see. c:
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Hmm. You look a little maxed out on stocking to me. I was going to do a school of black neons in with my cardinal tetra and a gourami and kuhli loaches in my 29 gallon but was advised against it. I was told two schools of column-swimming fish would make 29 gal tank look cramped. They will certainly be cramped in your 20 gal. I'd hold off on the black neons for now (trust me, it wasn't the advice I wanted to hear either because they are soo pretty).
Old 11-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #9 
Clint

Hi -

Regarding black neon tetras, does anyone know how much water current they prefer? I have a 20 gallon planted aquarium with only a small plecostomus (I'm not sure what species exactly, but he is at least two years old, 3 inches long, and healthy). There are also a bunch of MTS.

There is quite a bit of current - I have a Fluval C3, Biowheel 150, and powerhead 20 gal - and I don't want the fast moving water to be too much for them.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Since they come from the flooded forests of South America I would say that they don't enjoy a strong current. It sounds more than fine for the pleco, tho. They do appreciate a current in the tank.