Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Question Food Ideas

So... Sir Bubbles has made me run into a dilemna.

I feed my 3 boys Tetra Betta Pellets, and on occassion (very rarely), HBH Betta Color Bright flakes.

SB dislikes BOTH. He knocks the flakes off the surface of the tank as if hes going to eat it, then he spits it out and watches it fall to the bottom.
Then the pellets, he attempts to eat, and then just plays a game of "let's see how many times I can catch it before it hits thr ground."

I oonly have bloodworms as my other option, so would anyone mind giving me some tips?
I don't have any other betta food options in my LPS, since what I have is what they sell, so.. help?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Oooo.....looking at the ingredients, Tetra is....really a terrible quality food. :/ I totally understand the LPS dilemma though....I used to live in a place where all they sold was HBH for a long time.
Is there any way you can order Omega One or NLS online?

Have you tried crushing the pellets or soaking them in fresh garlic juice? Or maybe both together? The pellets may just be a little big for him, and the garlic juice should make them a little more enticing.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 
lelei

What is the HBH? I can get you some Omega one..if you want to try..let me know:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 
Alcemistnv

The pellets are really tiny, so crushing them turns to dust which he won't attmept to eat. And I don't have garlic juice available for me to use :/

And is Tetra really that bad? D: I've been feeding my boys nothing but that each day, about 2-4 a day.

Lelei, that'd be kinda awesome if you could :<
Do you want me to pay for it, because I can try hard and find a way to get some money...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 
DragonFish

Are they tiny? From what I read around people kept saying they were big....but I don't have them so I can't say of course. xD
Are the bloodworms you have frozen? You could try soaking the pellets in the 'juice' when you thaw the bloodworms instead of garlic.

The ingredients in Tetra just look terribly low quality to me.....lots of fillers, and the first ingredient is Wheat Flour. I mean, its probably not the end of the world or anything.....but it stinks that thats all your LFS sells. 8/ Have you asked them about maybe getting in other brands?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

I only have freezedried ones.

And yea, the pellets I have are tiny. Like, I lose a lot of them because how small they are xD

I haven't asked them about food because I never had a problem with it before.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Lol, well its good they're not too big!
Well.....one of my newer boys decided to be really picky on me. I tried everything, and he'd still do the whole spitting out the pellets and then ignoring them thing. ;P But after two weeks of refusing to feed him anything else he finally ate his pellets. Maybe Sir Bubbles just needs the more stubborn approach?

Is it a local Mom&Pop type store? Maybe if you go in and explain to them your dilemma, point out the quality and ingredients, they may at least order something for just you?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Yea, it's a mom&pop store.

I can ask them about theat when I have the cash to pay them when they do deliver it :)
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #9 
ballyhoo

dr. fosters and smith has a wide variety of food. I use them to order my bulk staple food. If you order over 50$ you get free shipping on the whole order ;)
Brine shrimp direct is a wonderful place, you get great quality food for very reasonable prices and they more often then not throw in samples of other foods. I use them for specialty foods for my reef tank, mainly for my mandarin dragonette (most finicky fish I have ever met >.< )
ballyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
The pellets are really tiny, so crushing them turns to dust which he won't attmept to eat. And I don't have garlic juice available for me to use :/

And is Tetra really that bad? D: I've been feeding my boys nothing but that each day, about 2-4 a day.

Lelei, that'd be kinda awesome if you could :<
Do you want me to pay for it, because I can try hard and find a way to get some money...
Sweetie, not a problem, just need your address..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote