Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Tetras? o.O

Over the last few days, I've seen a few posts either here, on tumblr, or on other forum sites that mention keeping 2 tetras with a betta in, like, a 2 gallon tank.

Don't tetras need at least need 5-6 to have a school, and don't they have to be in a bigger tank? o.O
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You are correct.....Tetras are a schooling species and do best when kept in larger number and in larger tanks.

They generally will not just drop dead when kept in too small tank or numbers. With that said, when kept in less than ideal conditions this can be stressful and this often will compromise the immune response-then thing can go down hill. Then when kept in small tanks with a Betta-two things can happen-either the Tetras will nip the Betta fins or the Betta will be able to corner them and either injure or kill the Tetras since they don't have enough space to get away....Then, sometimes you can get lucky and all is fine....but why take the risk....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Okay, that makes sense. I myself wouldn't do it because I knew that having such a small tank HAD to have negative effects on either of the fish.

I'm just glad to know that I wasn't wrong in my thoughts.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #4 
Patr1ck

How about maybe 5 or 6 ember tetras in a 5 gallon planted with a betta? I just put my betta Archie in it, and it looks a little sparse. I actually thought of putting in pearl danios, but read recently that they like waters that are cooler than what bettas prefer.

BTW, the tank's still getting settled in with the cycle and the planting, so is it a good idea to wait awhile. How long 'til the tank is cycled?

Thanks.
Patr1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patr1ck View Post
How about maybe 5 or 6 ember tetras in a 5 gallon planted with a betta? I just put my betta Archie in it, and it looks a little sparse. I actually thought of putting in pearl danios, but read recently that they like waters that are cooler than what bettas prefer.

BTW, the tank's still getting settled in with the cycle and the planting, so is it a good idea to wait awhile. How long 'til the tank is cycled?

Thanks.
In a 5 gallon all you should have is one betta and maybe one snail OR one shrimp. 5 gallons is too small to hold more waste than that, even if it is filtered and cycled.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

I just someone mention they also had 2 pgymy cories in a 3 gallon -.-
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 
betalover56

how many tetras and bettas can I do in a 10 gal, and do you have any other suggestions for a female betta tank????
betalover56 is offline   Reply With Quote