Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #11 
Jessie1990

I am taking care of this little guy the best I can with what I have. I can't afford to buy another tank atm... AND I don't have the space. I already have 3 king bettas and a goldfish crammed into my apartment... Boyfriend would probably kill me if I got another tank right now. Like I said, I had the 20 for a tropical tank and returned a filter and bought one suitable for double filtration. I went bare bottom to save money because I thought a good diet was more important. I didn't end up with a goldfish on purpose >< But now he's my favorite fish.
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #12 
Jessie1990

Koimaiden- So should I just keep doing 50% or do 2 25% a week? I usually end up taking out more than 25% depending on how long it takes me to suck stuff out from under where his fake plants were sitting. The tank just cycled a few days ago so I really haven't got a set schedule down yet.

Also, how much do you feed your goldies? I am not sure how much to feed at a time because the gel food I made is so different from pellets. Plus, Koko's people say to feed sparingly when treating a fish for disease. Is this the same for fluke treatment?

AND when he is done with treatment now much should I feed him at a time. I figured you are the best person to ask since I used your recipe :D
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

I like to do the once weekly 50% water changes. A full 50% might not be needed since you have one baby, but I'd wait and make that final call when the cycle gets into full swing. Don't want to upset the cycle too much.

I feed my youngest one 3-4 times a day. I give him 2-4 bite-sized pieces (well depending on how good my cutting skills are that day, they sometimes end up a little smaller). But this is with a water temp of 78F. At your water temp between 2 and 3 times a day would be good. Some days my schedule doesn't allow for that many feedings, but I make sure to get in at least one a day.

Koko's is probably recommending reduced feeding to help keep water quality from degrading when you're treating for a disease. Poor water quality is the number one cause of disease, so any way we can improve it helps your goldy's chance of recovery. But Prazi is a pretty standard treatment. I'd keep feeding him at least once a day. Good nutrition is also important on the road to recovery.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #14 
Jessie1990

Okay! Thanks for the advice!