Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #1 
BeneathBirches

Baby Betta--1st Time Owner--Please Help!

Hi everyone,

I acquired a baby betta from PetCo 2 days ago.
He is rather active and appears to be in good health with the exception of what looks like, from the research I've been doing, stress spots, though they're very small and condensed in lines--can't get a picture of him because he keeps moving!

I have done a lot of research and it appears that brine shrimp eggs/bloodworms are best to feed babies (my betta would not eat crushed pellets when I tried, even though he was clearly very interested in eating). My store only had bloodworms, and when I gave them to my baby for the first time, he gulped down 3 with no problem.

I'm wondering how many I should give him and how often; everything online is telling me different stuff and I'm very confused. I really want to take care of him absolutely the best I can. I would be utterly heartbroken if he died.

Other notes: betta is about 3/4 an inch long, I have a 1 gal tank with a live plant, changing 1/2 water daily until he grows up (if this is wrong, please let me know), filtering and dechlorinating the water, making sure the water is warm enough for him!

Thank you so much for any and all help.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That sounds good how a small feeding ounce or twice a day when do you plan on upgrading it? Water change schedule is great the better the water the faster they grow do you have any decorations that effects stress level.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 
BeneathBirches

I just have the plant--no extra decorations. He seems to like the plant--I find him in it once in a while.

How many worms should I feed every day?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

I'm not experienced with betta babies, but from what I understand they like to have hiding places. I would increase the amount of cover he has and places to hide! Sounds like you are doing a good job though. Some other members can recommend better food, but you may have to order some online if your local store doesn't have a wide selection.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

mine both grew up on crushed pellets and flakes. NLS, hikari and nutrafin.
with your water change schedule, you will see it grow faster due to you changing out the hormones/phermones(?). Dont be surprised if you encounter a growth spurt!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Be careful not to feed blood worms too often.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeneathBirches View Post
Hi everyone,

I acquired a baby betta from PetCo 2 days ago.
He is rather active and appears to be in good health with the exception of what looks like, from the research I've been doing, stress spots, though they're very small and condensed in lines--can't get a picture of him because he keeps moving!

I have done a lot of research and it appears that brine shrimp eggs/bloodworms are best to feed babies (my betta would not eat crushed pellets when I tried, even though he was clearly very interested in eating). My store only had bloodworms, and when I gave them to my baby for the first time, he gulped down 3 with no problem.

I'm wondering how many I should give him and how often; everything online is telling me different stuff and I'm very confused. I really want to take care of him absolutely the best I can. I would be utterly heartbroken if he died.

Other notes: betta is about 3/4 an inch long, I have a 1 gal tank with a live plant, changing 1/2 water daily until he grows up (if this is wrong, please let me know), filtering and dechlorinating the water, making sure the water is warm enough for him!

Thank you so much for any and all help.
In case you want to read this I thought I'd throw it out there, a baby betta section on my website http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html

Have fun with your new addition!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

I recommend 2-3 small meals a day for a baby. Thats like 2 bloodworms or two pellets. Try to get him used to pellets because blood worms arent too nutritious.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Hope he does very well.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #10 
babystarz

My babies love their grindal worms. They're super easy to take care of and you can find a culture on eBay.
The stress spots don't mean anything for your baby right now, it's normal for this age. It doesn't mean your baby is stressed.
I agree that twice daily feedings would be perfect, do not feed more than 1 bloodworm and 2 pellets per day. If he continues to reject the pellets then you should try to find a live food he likes that will provide him with lots of protein.
Closed Thread