Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 
MysticYogi

Question New Betta with behavior questions.

Hi everyone! I just got my first betta since college (Francois) and I have a few questions this time around.

I decided he needed room to swim so I have a 10 gallon tank. I have a baffled filter which wasn't baffled very well and still pins him to the bottom so I've shut it off temporarily until I can fix it. The heater is keeping it at a nice, comfy 78 degrees Fahrenheit. I have one live plant and 2 small decorations in it (pictures attached).

My question is... he keeps hanging out by the filter with his mouth to the air. I know they take in oxygen from the air but is it normal for them to just stay there? He swims around a little but mostly from one end of the filter to the other. I realize I probably need to add more decorations so he has a place to hide... is this what's going on? He has only been in his new home for about 2 hours. Maybe he needs to get used to it?

Thanks for your help! :)
Attached Images

MysticYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #2 
registereduser

what a beauty!!! I say give him a few days, he's probably still a little disoriented.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 
MysticYogi

Thank you! I fell in love with him when I saw him. :)

Thanks for the advice! In fact now that I look over at the tank, he's swimming around more. Poor thing probably didn't know what to do with all that space! haha
MysticYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Awwww, what a lovely little guy! And such a cute tank! LOVE the sand ;)
He probably is just getting used to his new home. a 10 gallon is a palace compared to those terrible tiny cups! xD And each betta takes to a new environment differently. I've had fish get all kinds of happy and active and excited in 5+ gallons, and some that have no idea what to do with themselves in 2 gallons when I first introduce them. ;)

Definitely want to add some more cover though when you can, he'll feel a bit more secure with more places to hide and whatnot. I'm personally quite fond of the silk plants Petco sells, though if you want to go with live plants check out the Planted Tank section of the forum. There is all kinds of awesome info there.

What did you baffle the filter with? Have you looked into cycling yet?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decorations, filter