Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #11 
MSG

For a makeshift hidey hole......Just grab a coffee mug you plan on throwing away. Rinse it in hot water and toss it in there.

You can modify the filter if you want, but I wouldn't mess with it too much in fear of breaking it. I've never seen one of those intank spray bar filters but if I come across one, it's coming home with me.

I prefer water movement for filters because that white oil slick grosses me out. The waterfall keeps that film from appearing in my tanks.

Last edited by MSG; 09-06-2012 at 11:40 AM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #12 
OrangeAugust

I also wanted to add:
Looking at the pictures, it looks like his fins are kind of short. Or is that just the way the pictures were taken? Also, the pictures taken of him from above looks pretty normal. Betta fish look very skinny when you look at them at that angle. My newest betta is a lot smaller than the one I had already, but they both look really skinny from above. Your fish looks okay. I'm wondering if he is/was a tailbiter though. His tail looks kind of short.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

About the water changes, even with a plant in that small of a tank you have to do them the ammonia will not all be eaten by the plant. The two cups a day is a bad idea but if your afraid of stressing him to take him out you could just leave enough water to cover him but then again the fresh conditioned water needs to be close as the temp as the water he is in to avoid shocking him so it might be best just to take him out, maybe use a small cup he would swim into or just use a net.

The smallest water change I would do is 50 percent one day and the next close to 100 percent the next day. Leaving food in his water will turn to ammonia so dont do that anymore. When my fish was in his gallon bowl for a week while I waited for his 5 gallon tank to get here that I ordered on line I brought a turkey baster to remove the water with and that was easy for me but does take time to do so whatever you find easier would be best for you. Good luck and do ask anymore questions you have if you need anymore help !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #14 
ripit

Looking at the pictures again I think the short fins are a combination of the pictures and having short fins. They are longer and bigger than the pictures make them look. The tail fin is kind of short but the bottom fin is pretty long. They are all fuller than a lot of the pictures make them look. The beta comes up to the front of the tank and follows me any time I am near the tank. It was nearly impossible to get good pictures of the side of the fish because when I would move to the other side of the tank to get a side shot he would follow and face me. Looking at pictures of other fish online, while he doesn't have huge fins like some, I think he is normal. The fins are also kind of laying down in the pics as he is swimming towards me tried several times to move and take a side pic quick).

I have a lot of spare plants but they are all plastic (many are large but I have a few small ones). Some seem fairly smooth and harmless while others are rather sharp. If plants are good enough cover though, I basically have unlimited wisteria (the kind already in there) to use. I added a pic to the link I already gave of the wisteria (the frog is a dwarf frog and the fish are guppies as far as scale). My other fish seem to love hanging around in it. I didn't think of using a cup but I may have some suitable ones.

As far as the filter, mine is a toms brand (came in a 1 gal tank kit). They are available separately.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00176GKM8/..._df_B00176GKM8

I'm not completely certain that is the same size as mine but it looks like it and is the same brand. I read on another forum from someone that tested one out (it was the same as mine) and they claimed it worked fine in a 3 gal but it was a little weak to keep a 5 gal clean. The spray bar is removable so rigging a tube to it wouldn't pose much risk of breakage if I have a suitable diameter tube.

I think toms just took a cheap available filter and slapped their name on it. These are all over ebay for less money and there are at least 2 different sizes (I think). The ones on ebay look like mine in every regard (enough that I think they came out of the same factory).

here is one with the spray bar cheap but it is not US voltage (not sure where this forum is based).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-300L-H-A...item4aba578c79

I know I have seen these with US voltage but seem to be having a hard time finding any right now (there are 10,000 filter listings so it can be easy to miss things sometimes). Here is one that include a free adapter to your countrys outlet though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200L-H-2-Wat...item19d3ce6a88

I am only linking to these specific sellers for reference, I do not know if they are good ones. Also be aware I have seen different sizes of these or similar ones on ebay so look around to find what best suits your needs. Be cautious about what the shipping charges are and what feedback they have when dealing with ebay sellers that ship direct from China etc.

I hadn't thought that the plant would eliminate water changes but figured it and the filter could reduce them. 2 cups would be about a 12% water change (measuring cups) so what about 4 cups (about a 25% water change) more frequently? If its still a bad idea just say so. I just want to minimize any thing that will shock him till he is healthier (like rapid change to different water chemistry, even if only slightly different).

I may be ordering the api master test kit tomorrow (have to see how big my pay check is). Whenever I do get it, can water changes frequency and amount be determined in part by water chemistry ( I would never do no water changes)?
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #15 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripit View Post
Looking at the pictures again I think the short fins are a combination of the pictures and having short fins. They are longer and bigger than the pictures make them look. The tail fin is kind of short but the bottom fin is pretty long. They are all fuller than a lot of the pictures make them look. The beta comes up to the front of the tank and follows me any time I am near the tank. It was nearly impossible to get good pictures of the side of the fish because when I would move to the other side of the tank to get a side shot he would follow and face me. Looking at pictures of other fish online, while he doesn't have huge fins like some, I think he is normal. The fins are also kind of laying down in the pics as he is swimming towards me tried several times to move and take a side pic quick).

I have a lot of spare plants but they are all plastic (many are large but I have a few small ones). Some seem fairly smooth and harmless while others are rather sharp. If plants are good enough cover though, I basically have unlimited wisteria (the kind already in there) to use. I added a pic to the link I already gave of the wisteria (the frog is a dwarf frog and the fish are guppies as far as scale). My other fish seem to love hanging around in it. I didn't think of using a cup but I may have some suitable ones.

As far as the filter, mine is a toms brand (came in a 1 gal tank kit). They are available separately.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00176GKM8/..._df_B00176GKM8

I'm not completely certain that is the same size as mine but it looks like it and is the same brand. I read on another forum from someone that tested one out (it was the same as mine) and they claimed it worked fine in a 3 gal but it was a little weak to keep a 5 gal clean. The spray bar is removable so rigging a tube to it wouldn't pose much risk of breakage if I have a suitable diameter tube.

I think toms just took a cheap available filter and slapped their name on it. These are all over ebay for less money and there are at least 2 different sizes (I think). The ones on ebay look like mine in every regard (enough that I think they came out of the same factory).

here is one with the spray bar cheap but it is not US voltage (not sure where this forum is based).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-300L-H-A...item4aba578c79

I know I have seen these with US voltage but seem to be having a hard time finding any right now (there are 10,000 filter listings so it can be easy to miss things sometimes). Here is one that include a free adapter to your countrys outlet though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200L-H-2-Wat...item19d3ce6a88

I am only linking to these specific sellers for reference, I do not know if they are good ones. Also be aware I have seen different sizes of these or similar ones on ebay so look around to find what best suits your needs. Be cautious about what the shipping charges are and what feedback they have when dealing with ebay sellers that ship direct from China etc.

I hadn't thought that the plant would eliminate water changes but figured it and the filter could reduce them. 2 cups would be about a 12% water change (measuring cups) so what about 4 cups (about a 25% water change) more frequently? If its still a bad idea just say so. I just want to minimize any thing that will shock him till he is healthier (like rapid change to different water chemistry, even if only slightly different).

I may be ordering the api master test kit tomorrow (have to see how big my pay check is). Whenever I do get it, can water changes frequency and amount be determined in part by water chemistry ( I would never do no water changes)?
You can absolutely base your water changes off your findings with your test kit. FOR SCIENCE!! hahahah ok that was nerdy. I know from personal testing experience that my 2.5 gal unfiltered tanks have to be changed at least 50% every third day, to keep ammonia at 0.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #16 
BettaQi

The turkey baster is the best thing ever.

Are you using Prime as your water conditioner? It is excellent at detoxifying ammonia for a 48 hur period so you can ensure he won't die before has next water change.

I got a Fluval Prefilter sponge and stuck it on the end of my spray bar so that half of the holes' power is diminished. My betta girl was much much healthier and happier after that. Her stress stripes went away and she colored up amazingly -- the front Half of her is such a dark blue now that it's almost black and her turquoise is vivid!

Highly recommend turning the spray bar to hit the tank wall first, to dissipate pressure as well.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #17 
MSG

• BQ, when you do a lot of poultry roasting, a baster is good for what it's named after. I wouldn't be able to use a TB for fish duty without associating the two.
That's why I use transfer pipettes instead.

Nothing like a freshly roasted chicken but not when you associate it with poo removal.

• Most of those internal filters for an aquarium are cheaply made, but the spray bar is a really cool looking feature. I've never seen one in use before, but looks interesting enough for me to go out & buy one.
  • I'm only interested in the CLEAR version of this filter. If it's black, I wouldn't be interested. I like to see the media whenever it's possible.
  • Funny the company mention that filter is energy efficient because my Biowheel 400 is designed to be used for up to a 80G tank. It uses 4 watts.
  • Same applies to the AquaClear 150 aka 30. Designed for a 30G tank. It also uses 4 watts
As for the water tests & basing your water changes off of that. I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a 6G, 10G, & 1.5G. I've gotten 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites for 3 solid weeks with NO WC's.

• No water changes were done to any of the tanks until this past weekend due to fears of DOC possibly harming the fish.
  • I know my ammonia & nitrite tests work fine, but it's a little hard to believe my ammonia/nitrites are still 0.
  • This a perfect example of why I use good proven filters & not the cheap ones.
I'm not sure if I harmed any of the fish in the process. But several guppies have died 1 after another with no real symptoms other than heavy breathing. Could be related to DOC's. Doesn't make any sense at all because they all look really healthy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #18 
ripit

I am using prime as a water conditioner. The spray bar was spraying against the back of the tank but I had to remove the spray bar completely to make room for a heater (its removable). There is now a little wedge shaped sprayer and it is pointed at the back wall. Its a 25 watt heater so I had to angle it across the back of the tank. I watched it carefully the first day as I was afraid of boiling the fish but it seems to be doing a good job keeping it where I want it. He seemed to be very happy with the heater and actually spent a lot of time right next to it. I have it in the high 70's and turned it up one more click tonight.

The filter does seem cheaply made (and mine is the toms brand one). It seems to work through. Mine is kind of a smoked clear plastic color. You can see the sponge pretty well through the slots in it.

My current concern is overfeeding right now though (massive over feeding). A couple of days ago my 5 year feed him without asking and while he gave him the right food, he gave him maybe 30 pellets. He had a few hours to eat before we realized it. He ate a lot and got a big bloated stomach. I gave some brine shrimp (read they are like a laxative). I don't know if he ate any but the next evening, there was a 4 inch long single string of poop in the tank. His stomach seems to be going down ok. Now tonight, the 5 year old feed him (under supervision) but he kept dropping the pellets. He fed two and so I was going to give a couple more (he was fasted for a day yesterday and fed 3 pellets this morning). So I got some different food (hbh beta pellets), and when I go to feed him, I accidentally feed him hbh frog and tadpole bites!!! He swallows one really fast so I didn't notice. Then he bites at and spits back out the other and I notice its too big (the tadpole bites are bigger than beta pellets though they are soft like the old hbh beta pellets). I guess its similar food but that was a pretty big pellet he took in one bite!!! I wonder what is going to happen next?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #19 
ripit

I just glanced at the label on the hbh frog and tadpole bites. The 5th ingredient is dried ground peas. Maybe it will actually help with the overfeeding?