Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
skepkat

Unhappy Fin Rot & Bloat issues - need encouragement

I got Chuck (pictured left) a bit over a month ago. Decided to get another betta. Found a beautiful crowntail (not named yet but will call him ct1 for now). As I was leaving the store I spotted this little guy (ct2 for now). He looked so pathetic I made an impulsive decision to get both new crowntails. CT2 has fin rot - fins are really bad shape. And then yesterday he bloated.

Info for CT2:

What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? filter
Is your tank heated? I have one, but tank thermometer reads at 78-80
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets / flakes & treats
How often do you feed your betta fish? suspended feeding yesterday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've had him a week and done about 3 water changes (Sat & today)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually 50% (sometimes 25% or 75%)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Conitioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 1.0 (tap water reads .5 - 1.0 but conditioner says it neutralizes ammonia, chloramine & chlorine)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0
Hardness: 50
Alkalinity: 100

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated in the last 36 hours
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? First few days he was lethargic and floating near surface, he had spurts of activity where he seemed to be feeling better, since yesterday most times when I check on him, he's resting on the thermometer or inside his cave.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? fin rot from purchase / bloat yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Trying to keep water clean & added aq salt today (dissolved some in conditioned water, then added some of the water to his tank).
Does your fish have any history of being ill? from purchase
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea

Is there anything else I can do for him?
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #2 
Bettafish

Bloated issues are hard to figure out. Atleast in my opinion.

He could have just eaten to much.

Thats what i think. If he doesnt reduce in size then it could be a simple internal parasite. Which other members of the forum will tell you how to fix. I dont know what the best thing to do it.im just informing u of the posibilities i see right now

If posible incluse pictures. they really do help! it just takes a few minutes and can help cure ur betta for years to come
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #3 
skepkat

If it helps. Here he is a few days ago and last night.

If it is internal parasites, what is the recommended treatment? Epson salt? Should I replace the aq salt with epson salt? I looked but didn't see it when I purchased the aq salt. I can try another pet store, I assume it would be near the fish meds. Should I go another route? Also, I really worry about him being so skinny. When should I resume feeding?

He does seem more active this morning. Seems hungry. But still has a tummy bulge. Sometimes I think it is reducing, but on his tiny frame, it still seems way too big.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

Hello, I just want to say, don't feed him any more peas. 86 degrees isn't bad at all, ideal is about 84 + anyway. Look for white stringy poo in your tank to confirm that your betta may have internal parasites. DO a 100% water change and acclimate before you put him back in.

Anyone have any advice on the Epsom salt?

Last edited by KevinPham123; 09-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #5 
skepkat

Never fed him peas. I don't even have any in my house. I haven't fed him anything since his belly bloated.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

For the bloat, I'd say stop feeding for a few days and add Epsom salt. The bulge will go down in a few days if it's bloat, but you want to make sure it doesn't get worse.

As for fin rot, I believe you use AQ salt and just give him clean water every day to every other day.

When he poops, see if you can find out the colorr :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #7 
sunlight

Make sure you vacuum the gravel when you do water changes. And you need to swish/wash filter media.
The first picture he is not bloated at all and second picture he is. How much did you feed him? I am personally don't feed with flakes, pellets preferable. And a lot of people on the forum saying it can be cause -bloating. So pellets are better.
Now if you can find frozen daphnia will help a lot if he is constipated.

So there is too reasons he can be bloated: internal parasites or constipation from overfeeding.
With internal parasites his poo will be white or clear stringy,wormy shape,sometimes gray belly. So watch for the poo .
If he is not better after you fast him you need Epsom salt. Also eposm salt will help with bloating and it antibacterial so it also help with fin rot.

Now very important to find out if he has internal parasites so watch for the poo. If he didn't poo for a few days then it will answer the question. If he didn't poo for a few day then he can be bloated because he is constipated.

So if he is not better definitely start Epsom salt. Do you have hospital tank? Or you can lower the water level so it will be easier for you to treat him.

Pre mix 2 tsp/gall of the epsom salt. Make sure it disolved. You need to do daily 100% water changes. Epsom salt will help to clean out digestive system.
Also really good if he continue to eat. If it internal parasites it easier to get rid of them while fish eating so he can pass them with stool.
How is your ct1?

Also i would not share anything between your fish just in case it something contagious.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #8 
skepkat

Came home for lunch. He seems more active and his tummy seems less severe. Sucked some brown somewhat poo looking stuff from tank. Will have to wait until after work to search out Epsom salt.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #9 
sunlight

we have Epsom salt at any pharmacy. Not in the pet store though.
brown poo is good. Hopefully he just constipated. Since you saying his tummy looks better.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 
sunlight

Just watch and you i am really recommending pellets not flakes. I don't like flakes they also so messy and contaminate the water. And since he got bloated you need to be careful don't overfeed him since some bettas just prone to have this problem.
The more water changes the better :)