Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #11 
FireKidomaru

I dont really share anything amongst fish. Tiki adn Monroe are perfectly fine showing no symptoms and I changed the water all at the same time. The symptoms are lathargic, loss of weight rapidly (even tho I see them eating), and then they die...
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Loss weight rapidly despite eating can be internal parasites. A lot of time fish will also became bloated,gray belly. Contagious. Symptoms though will take time to develop. It will not happen in one day.
So i think very important to be alert and as soon as you see any symptoms you need to be concern and may be treat the fish. So next time if Tiki or Monroe show any symptoms or behaviour change give us update so we try to figure out before it too late.

Also i have question did Mako was sick or it happened right after water change?

Also when you change them do you acclimate them to new chemistry/temperature? And make sure the new water is approximately the same temperature as their water so you don't shock them with temperature difference.

I also always hold my hands under the water before i take care of my bettas. I don't even touch anything in the house until i am done with my bettas. If i wipe my hand it only clean paper towel.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #13 
Kitty Whiskers

So sorry you are going thru this. :( RIP fishes
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #14 
FireKidomaru

Update: Monroe and Tiki are doing wonderfully! no symptoms whatsoever! Im really happy that they didnt catch the bug/infection. It makes me feel so greatful that they are still so so healthy. I honostly think that a a parasite somehow got transfered Gatsby, Mako, and Kai because they were all sick around the same time and all of them had the exact same symptoms. Thank you all so much for helping me through this :) This is why I love this site, so many kind and helpful members :)
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #15 
xShainax

I know how you feel, I lost 8 females in my sorority but managed to save one
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #16 
sunlight

i think it always diffecult when you have more then one betta in the tank. Once one gtet sick then give it to others. And i am personally think the more water changes less chance to get sick. So if you cycle the tank always do 50% water changes with regular vacuuming and filter media swish/wash. If you don't cycle do 50% and 100% water weekly. It the best. Some people recommending 25 % water changes which i think will be a problem sooner or later. I do a lot of water changes and my bettas don't get sick.
I am glad you was able to save one girl! Do you have males?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #17 
xShainax

Sunlight, with a 29 gallon, you can't do a 100% water change, it will shock the fish.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #18 
sunlight

yes you right i din't realized you have 29 gall. Well bettas never shocked with 100% water changes if you acclimate them . I do it all the time. And when you treat bettas with aquarium salt or epsom salt you also do 100% water changes so it fine. But it not possible to do 100% water changes in 29 gall of course. For me i will not able to even take care of 29 gall. So i can imagine how difficult it is.
I am reading a lot on this forum even though i don't have problem with my bettas and i don't cycle my tanks. But i read that 50% water changes is what you need to do ...
If you want i can give you a link that i like about cycling.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #19 
tpocicat

So sorry for your loss, it's always hard. :'(
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #20 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
yes you right i din't realized you have 29 gall. Well bettas never shocked with 100% water changes if you acclimate them . I do it all the time. And when you treat bettas with aquarium salt or epsom salt you also do 100% water changes so it fine. But it not possible to do 100% water changes in 29 gall of course. For me i will not able to even take care of 29 gall. So i can imagine how difficult it is.
I am reading a lot on this forum even though i don't have problem with my bettas and i don't cycle my tanks. But i read that 50% water changes is what you need to do ...
If you want i can give you a link that i like about cycling.
I do 100% twice weekly with my one gallons.