Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

As Perseus said, just keep a good watch on him. It's nothing you did :)

If worst comes to worst, he still has a functional eye, so don't worry. It's just a biological thing and I'm sure you did nothing to cause it <3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #12 
lelei

I am soo scared, I noticed he hates the camera now..I guess it's getting sensative to light, so I should I keep his tank lights out for now..I did just shut them off..so now..I am not sure when to use them..i dont want to make it worse..he is finding food ok, still as active as ever, and finds his way around very well..I have been noticing this change came on suddenly..so I just hope its not both..omg..that is what is scaring me..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #13 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I dont have any idea what might be up with his eye, I wish I could tell you its okay but just keep watching to see if it changes anymore. Its nothing you did wrong and if something does happen he will be okay with only one eye and I read somewhere wish I could remember where it might have been here but anyway it was saying that fish use echo sound like bats do, so he will be fine. Hugs.. try not to worry so much I know you care so much for your fish and give them the best of care and they are very lucky to have you !!!!!
I just feel terrible,, I am hoping he will be fine..but its just so sudden..and I noticed that he hates the camera now..that had to be the sign, Thanks so much Perseusmom..and I just hope and pray..it's not both eyes..
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #14 
babystarz

If he is losing sight I'm sure he'll be ok, just don't move him to a new tank or switch the decorations around too much. He'll be able to smell and taste his food, sight isn't necessarily required for that. I wouldn't shut off the tank light completely during the day because he might not be totally blind. Light is required to see shapes and shadows too.

Bettas can get cataracts or eye injuries, or have iridescence layers grow over their eyes to make them lose vision. I believe it's a common problem in old age too.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #15 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
If he is losing sight I'm sure he'll be ok, just don't move him to a new tank or switch the decorations around too much. He'll be able to smell and taste his food, sight isn't necessarily required for that. I wouldn't shut off the tank light completely during the day because he might not be totally blind. Light is required to see shapes and shadows too.

Bettas can get cataracts or eye injuries, or have iridescence layers grow over their eyes to make them lose vision. I believe it's a common problem in old age too.
What happens if he cannot see his food..how will he eat..I guess he may have to get fed in a smaller tank..like a QT? It made me wonder there is times I drop in the food, and point to it, and he jumps to get it, but always misses..and then lands on it..and when I point it out to him, he could always find it, I am noticing he isnt finding it as quickly..wow..that is really making me think..he sees it when its moving..but not still..

Ok..I only shut the tank lights at night, and during day..I will still keep em on..as always..I have the light changing colors..but I usually keep it steady..no blinking..I never trusted that..but the color is soft, and dim..Is it ok to stil take pictures..??
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #16 
lelei

Can someone HELP ME --Sapphire may be GOING BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to update Sapphires pix. I took last night, His eyes look bigger, and one looks really blue..and I think he is going blind in that one eye..should I try to treat him, I don't know if it can be treated, and I cannot update pix till later-- I have Epsom, and AQ salts, and IAL..I am thinking tonite, when I get home to do something..but not sure what..and if anything at all will help..?????????????????:c ry: I am really scared now
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Cloudy eyes can be related to aging out, genetic, injury, long term high nitrate and DOC's to name a few common causes.

Any other S/S or behavior changes-beside the cloudy eye-one or both? and the swelling is it in both eyes?

Fish have what is called the lateral line and this functions somewhat like echo locations to help them function in darkness, dark water, vision issues...etc......

Need your tank stats-how big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, tank mates, appetite/food, how old is he or how long have you had him and any genetic background if known and health history....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #18 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Cloudy eyes can be related to aging out, genetic, injury, long term high nitrate and DOC's to name a few common causes.

Any other S/S or behavior changes-beside the cloudy eye-one or both? and the swelling is it in both eyes?

Fish have what is called the lateral line and this functions somewhat like echo locations to help them function in darkness, dark water, vision issues...etc......

Need your tank stats-how big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, tank mates, appetite/food, how old is he or how long have you had him and any genetic background if known and health history....

I am at work, dont have Params..but basics are this..

78-80 degree heated, with a Tetra Pre set heater,
3 gallon size,
Water changes, are 35-50 1x wkly- every tues, and 100% every week- every Sat. Just did his 100 this past weekend..

He is a rescue, used to live in a vase, and was very small..and is growing, and getting bigger, I am seeing more definition in the lips, and that's how I noticed his eyes, too, mostly just size, then the color change,
He is fed 2-3x a day 2 Hakari Gold, or in the past 2 wks, Omega One pellets, I think he is around 6 Mos. I got him in June, it will be 3 mos with me this month on the 24th

What are DOC's??
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #19 
lelei

No filter, and a small Amazon Sword plant, the rest silk, all cleaned when I do water changes, well, except the Amazon, I pull out the brown leaves, and he has an airstone.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #20 
lelei

He is still very active, and eats normally, flares more now, I think he's coming of age, like a teen, so he flares much more,, it came on suddenly..:(