Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
I do know that some Thailand breeders keep there males in large community tanks. By large, I mean REALLY big. Possibly 200 plus Gallons. Of course, this is a huge risk. I do know some males will live quite companionably with females, but then you also run the risk of them breeding. The safest bet is to probably have some Wild's or Strohi in there.
I do not think the OP is keeping wild Betta. The OP probably does not even have access.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #22 
Yunalesca

No, I have not kept many B splendens. I has one that belongs to my son in a 10 gallon which has always been housed alone (unless you count the pond snails!) because I am aware that this particular species of fish is known to be aggressive and I have never wanted to breed them.
I spend enough time deal with the end result of over breeding in dogs to go do it with fish ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I do not think the OP is keeping wild Betta. The OP probably does not even have access.
I most certainly could get wild B splendens if I wished, as my LFS has very good suppliers who are always on the look out for the more unusual fish, and I don't mind waiting as long as it takes to get the right fish.

My concern with either wild splendens or B imbellis is as previously mentioned by LittleBettaFish it is difficult to be sure you are buying a pure strain and not a hybrid.
If you end up with hybrids, the aggression levels may well be no different to keeping a group of B splendens.

I asked the original question after a chat with the shop owners son,who I know does breed many of he B splendens on sale. So it was interesting to learn hat may play a part in happy bachelor groupings.

Thankyou to those who have offered assistance :)
Yunalesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunalesca View Post
No, I have not kept many B splendens. I has one that belongs to my son in a 10 gallon which has always been housed alone (unless you count the pond snails!) because I am aware that this particular species of fish is known to be aggressive and I have never wanted to breed them.
I spend enough time deal with the end result of over breeding in dogs to go do it with fish ;)

I most certainly could get wild B splendens if I wished, as my LFS has very good suppliers who are always on the look out for the more unusual fish, and I don't mind waiting as long as it takes to get the right fish.

My concern with either wild splendens or B imbellis is as previously mentioned by LittleBettaFish it is difficult to be sure you are buying a pure strain and not a hybrid.
If you end up with hybrids, the aggression levels may well be no different to keeping a group of B splendens.

I asked the original question after a chat with the shop owners son,who I know does breed many of he B splendens on sale. So it was interesting to learn hat may play a part in happy bachelor groupings.

Thankyou to those who have offered assistance :)
I would not reccomend you getting wild bettas they are a lot hardier to care for like PH and water quality. It is very hard to keep two males or females with males together even during breeding males are tough and aggressive.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #24 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Not my point even wild B.splendens fight a lot just no as much B.Imbellis is better.
Do you ever stop to think that someone might know more about bettas than you? Or do you ever stop to consider another person's point of view? LittleBettaFish has successfully kept wild betta so I'm pretty sure she has a better understanding and more knowledge of them and their behaviour.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #25 
TheCrabbyTabby

Chocolate, I am sure you have the best intentions when trying to convey information towards another person, but you do sometimes come across as a little bit of a know-it-all. That can actually deter a person from retaining the knowledge you are trying to impart upon them because they no longer want to associate with you. Perhaps try to come at this situation with a kinder and gentler approach?

I understand you are autistic and such things come as a bit of a difficulty to you but I do believe its possible for you to do so with a little extra effort. Its just something you'll have to learn to do.

I know I am not a moderator on this forum, and as such, have no position to tell people how to act on here, but I just want to keep this place peaceful.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #26 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrabbytabby View Post
chocolate, i am sure you have the best intentions when trying to convey information towards another person, but you do sometimes come across as a little bit of a know-it-all. That can actually deter a person from retaining the knowledge you are trying to impart upon them because they no longer want to associate with you. Perhaps try to come at this situation with a kinder and gentler approach?

I understand you are autistic and such things come as a bit of a difficulty to you but i do believe its possible for you to do so with a little extra effort. Its just something you'll have to learn to do.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

Going by the tank specifications the OP has provided, soft acidic water, lots of cover and suitable tankmates, there is no reason not for them to choose a wild betta species.

I have had hands-on experience with at least 15 different wild species and have successfully bred at least 7 of these, so yes I do know what I am talking about. It is one thing to read up on websites and in books about a subject, and it is another to have actual personal experience to go by.

If you have the environment right, wild bettas are a heck of a lot easier to care for then splendens. My wilds rarely have issues with health and the only reason I lose them is through their darn suicidal jumping.

I have four wild betta males living together in a 10 gallon tank. They have spats every now and then and someone will come out with torn fins, but they don't actively hunt down and kill each other. I have had only one species of wild betta try and kill each other, and that was ideii. They are known however, to be very aggressive towards conspecifics even to the point of the female killing the male or vice versa. But even they after a period of time within eye-sight of each other could be safely housed together without harm.

OP if you can get your hands on imbellis I would definitely recommend you give them a shot. Wild bettas are truly beautiful in a different sense to the gaudy splendens and when in full colour and on display it will make you wonder why you even bothered with the splendens in the first place!
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #28 
TheCrabbyTabby

*blushes*

Thanks, Freyja.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #29 
Sceven

Sorry to hijack for a second Yunalesca, but LittleBettaFish so just form your experience would a domestic Betta fight with a wild species? (I'm not in the car on the way to buy one just curious)

@ CrabbyTabby that was far more eloquent then I would have put it
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #30 
TheCrabbyTabby

I'm eloquent? No one's ever said that about me. Thanks!