Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 
laynisample

Angry Just disgusting

Yesterday when I was at the store picking out my new Betta I was looking at other tanks. I already had one cycling at home for the new fish, but I was just curious. I found the "Betta section" and the tanks were so disgustingly small. Four inch cubes were the biggest "tanks" they had for the fish. It's even smaller than the little cup it came in and this was at a mom and pop pet store. Why do people think it's okay to keep a fish in such living conditions? I have a one gallon tank as my isolation tank, but other than that the rest of my tanks are three gallons. Now, I have two fish, both were bought yesterday to go into my pretty tanks, and they are my first two fish ever, but I just found that horrifying. I wish people did more research before buying pets.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 
kelseyleah343

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
Yesterday when I was at the store picking out my new Betta I was looking at other tanks. I already had one cycling at home for the new fish, but I was just curious. I found the "Betta section" and the tanks were so disgustingly small. Four inch cubes were the biggest "tanks" they had for the fish. It's even smaller than the little cup it came in and this was at a mom and pop pet store. Why do people think it's okay to keep a fish in such living conditions? I have a one gallon tank as my isolation tank, but other than that the rest of my tanks are three gallons. Now, I have two fish, both were bought yesterday to go into my pretty tanks, and they are my first two fish ever, but I just found that horrifying. I wish people did more research before buying pets.
It's easier to sell a "low-maintenance" pet.. plus a lot of people are so misinformed, that they really don't know themselves that bettas shouldn't stay in those little containers that they call 'tanks'.
kelseyleah343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

The more bettas people kill and torture, the more the store sells.
If everyone's only choice was to buy a decent sized tank, heater and do proper water changes, there would be way less people buying bettas.

Its the sad truth :(
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah that is terrible makes me so sad to think of these amazing fish in those tiny little things. Your so right Teeney ! You know some people just think its fine to have them in those small bowls, my daughter who has a PHD even thought so cause a couple of her friends has their Bettas in little bowls so I had to explain to her how wrong this is. So the more people we tell maybe this will help people to realize how wrong it is and that Betta need and deserve better.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #5 
TheCheese909

My LFS is called "Elliot's Pet Emporium" and it's a terrible place. The sell Bettas in cups smaller then the WalMart & PetSmart cups, they are so terribly small the males have to either be facing up or facing down so that their tails can be stretched out & not bent/folded. Oh & in some of the cups they add about half an inch of gravel so there is even less space in them.
They sell "tanks" that are the size of the PetSmart cups maybe ever so slightly bigger and are bright colors, the whole thing & not just the lid. They are made of like neon green, yellow or orange see though plastic. Can you imagine being in that?? Not just the fact it's super small but also not being able to see the world correctly? It would be like living in a box inside a closet and having to wear sunglasses with colored lenses!

It's terrible. I have only visited the place once and it was back when I had a pet snake last year, so I was buying frozen rats for him and just stopped to look at the fish... Oh, they even CHARGE YOU $1 if you want to take the Betta home in that cup. Otherwise they dump the fish out in a baggy like you get any other fish.. which is ironic because they have so much more room in that baggy then that tiny little cup.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote