Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #11 
labloverl

Yes I have been thinking of getting one of those. I'll update here on how Sawyer is doing, and hopefully I can release him back in the tank sooner rather than later. :)

I won't be able to get the tank for a few days anyways, so that's why I asked how long he could stay in the cup. For future reference though... How do you maintain a qt tank? Do you just fill it with clean water when you need to put a fish in and then drain it completely until you need it again? Does it have to have a filter, gravel, and other things to make it "home?"
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #12 
TheCheese909

When you are using it as a hospital tank or qt, its best to not have gravel since most of the time you have to clean the tank daily. But having a soft plastic or silk plant for use only in that tank and that tank only is nice to have so the fish doesn't get too stressed being exposed.

You don't *need* to have an air stone, though the Walmart one comes with it and a pump. If you want to use it though you can, its best to use it with a diffuser so its not very windy, the slight disturbance along the waters surface can help keep bacteria from setteling. That's mainly used if you're doing a week long treatment with only a water change at the end of some 7 odd days and not daily changes.

When needed for qt/hospitalization fill with clean tap water and condition it then add the fish.

When you're done using it clean it good with hot tap water, dry it and store it away to be used next time.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #13 
labloverl

Ok, thank you!

Sawyer is better today. I'm no expert on betta bellies, but it does seem like there's just a small bit of bloating left. He didn't poop last night, but he pooped a lot the day before.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #14 
MSG

• This is why you take focused pictures at the same time every day. Makes it so much easier to monitor them for issues & whether it's improving or getting worse.
  • Don't you have any empty square glass vases you can clean out & use as a hospital tank?
  • I prefer them over the betta store display cups.

Did you decide on which betta to add to your collection next?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #15 
labloverl

I suck at getting good pictures of them, so that's why I end up taking videos. I do need to do it daily though! And no, i don't have a glass container. :( I don't know where you all get those acrylic/glass ones that everyone uses to take pictures with?

And no, I still haven't decided which color I want next. I've been thinking about this for the past month, and I still have no clue what I really want lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #16 
MSG

You have to go to the craft stores/department stores/discount stores.

Most of the places where you purchased the materials to make your divider will have them.

I'm sure you have at least 6 friends with those glass/crystal containers sitting unused somewhere in their apt/house. Ask around. Just make sure you clean them THOROUGHLY before you use them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #17 
labloverl

Well, Sawyer now has a white lump behind his pectoral fin. "Maybe" lymphocystis, but waiting on confirmation. So it looks like I'm going out to buy the 1 gallon tank from walmart and set him up in it. The worst thing is that I've been dumping his old cup water into the tank I'm trying to cycle, but hopefully this won't be too bad. I just want Sawyer to get better. I love my big boy.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #18 
TheCheese909

Don't worry too much if it is lymphocystis, i've got a boy who has it and he's fine. You will just need to give him a week with aquarium salt every month to keep it down, since parts of can usually dissolve with the salt.

Can you get a photo of it? Take your time with trying to get a picture so you get a clear one.

Why would you dump his old cup water into another tank if you're thinking he may be sick? The whole reason you have him in a cup is so you don't chance getting any other fish sick right?
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #19 
labloverl

Well I started dumping his old water in the other tank when he started to get better. I just wasn't thinking. :(

I'll post pics on the thread I started titled "what is this white spot on sawyer's side!?" That way everything will be together there. Do you mind looking at the new one?